Seeking Penny & Giles Legacy Fader Information

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Penny & Giles 1100 Series:

Attachments

• P&G 1100 -2.png
    P&G 1100 -2.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • P&G 1100 -3.png
    P&G 1100 -3.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • P&G 1100 -4.png
    P&G 1100 -4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • P&G 1100 -1.png
    P&G 1100 -1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Penny & Giles 1100 Series:
Musika - thank you for those additional pages for the 1100 Series. Oddly, they don't contain an option selection matrix that generates an actual part number the way the modern datasheets do. Hmmm...

If your catalog doesn't include part number templates I'm not sure any more pages would help. More importantly, the pages you have provided gave me the dimensional data I need to verify physical compatibility with the existing space and mounting plate dimensions of our current fader.

Penny & Giles 1500 Series:

Attachments

• P&G 1500 -1.png
    P&G 1500 -1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • P&G 1500 -2.png
    P&G 1500 -2.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • P&G 1500 -3.png
    P&G 1500 -3.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • P&G 1500 -4.png
    P&G 1500 -4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • P&G 1500 -5.png
    P&G 1500 -5.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
Jeffbro,

I just found these for the 3000 series faders - is this type of page what you are looking for? Unfortunately, I am not sure if I have the other P&G series fader pages.

I may have found it here:

Curtis Wright

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 7.52.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 7.52.10 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 7.54.15 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 7.54.15 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Someone may have raised this already, but I’m trying to understand the letter designations used for P&G 1520 faders. I know there are at least 1520/A, 1520/B, 1520/C and 1520/D. Frequently one sees additional numerical designations after the letter designation (1520/D135, etc.)

Could it be the letters designate resistance, or the presence of a mute switch, or something else? I’ve been asking about this for years to no avail.

Could it be the letters designate resistance, or the presence of a mute switch, or something else? I’ve been asking about this for years to no avail.

Yes, I believe that is the resistance +/-20% (image from my previous post) followed sometimes with the screw metric (mounting threads) like PGF3020/D/M would indicate 10K, M3.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 7.21.09 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 7.21.09 AM.png
    594.3 KB · Views: 2
Jeffbro,

I just found these for the 3000 series faders - is this type of page what you are looking for? Unfortunately, I am not sure if I have the other P&G series fader pages.

I may have found it here:

Curtis Wright
Yes, those 3000 Series pages are examples of the modern datasheets. Each fader option has an associated key number. Choosing the various options is how you build up a final part number. I don't see anything similar in the older datasheets.

I just learned a few minutes ago from a P+G distributor that the "D" numbers refer to P+G's internal drawing number. They are unique to each fader design and the numbers bear no relation to the fader's features!

I'm currently trying to find a replacement for a 104mm stereo master fader in a GML automation system. Sadly, GML disavows all knowledge of their old automation systems. Since the automation has not been used in 20 years my plan is to install a regular non-vca fader. The only technical literature I can find is for the 3000 Series, but there are lots of faders out there from different, older series like the 1000 Series. My problem is that I need to determine if mounting holes and overall physical sizes are compatible with the fader I need to replace.

Can anyone point me to a source of P&G technical information for older faders?
Measure the space between the fader mounting holes and let me know. Also, If you need a stereo master fader, 99% of them are all 100mm, so any of us console makers can provide a fader panel. I seem to remember them being 5K?

Measure the space between the fader mounting holes and let me know. Also, If you need a stereo master fader, 99% of them are all 100mm, so any of us console makers can provide a fader panel. I seem to remember them being 5K?
Yes, 5k stereo.

The owner made some measurements for me. He says the fader mounting screws are on 143.5mm centers. (The standard P+G measurement is 142.24mm so I don't know if Massenburg's custom assembly is non-standard or if the owner made a careless measurement.) I've just asked him to measure the fascia mounting distance. The fascia is 40 x 178mm overall.

Also, the 100/104mm stroke distance has always confused me. The faders are almost universally called 100mm but the P+G stroke is 104mm.

The -modern- standard for fader is 120mm spacing hole P&G, ALPS, TKD
For those who offer 104mm travel with audio log, 20dB att at mid position (and not math log 100mm), it's the same for hole spacing.
As you usually cutout the aperture for T lever at 110mm both 100 and 104 work.

Hello! I am looking for a GML Stereofader 8403. Hope someone can help me!
Are you sure that's the correct number? If you look at the PGF8000 Series information on the CW website you'll see that the 2nd part number digit codes for the stroke length and the 8000 series only comes wt 100mm stroke. That is coded with a 1 so all 8000 Series numbers must take the form PGF81xx.

The 3rd digit codes for the taper and can only be 1, 2, or 6.
The 4th digit codes for the number of channels (mono or stereo) and can only have a value of 0 or 1.

Do you have a photo of the fader's name plate?

I'm happy to say that during my recent discussions with CW I was told they are working on a major rework of their website and now they intend to scan the old fader literature and make it public. I hope it doesn't take forever.

Sorry for the late reply, I missed the new message notification. Here are some photos:IMG_3448.jpgIMG_3449.jpgIMG_3450.jpgIMG_3451.jpg

Sorry for the late reply, I missed the new message notification. Here are some photos:

I'm sorry, seeing your pictures I realize that when I read your first post I did not absorb the fact that you are looking for a GML fader, not P+G. In fact, your photo is of exactly the type of fader that I needed to replace!

GML was completely unhelpful and after a lot of searching I could not find a GML replacement fader. However, since the automation in the console I maintain is inoperable, that opened the door to replacing the GML with a standard non-motorized 5K fader which I found without too much trouble.

So, the question becomes do you have to have automation on your stereo fader?

Well, automation is a bit of a stretch. I only use the faders to move to and save certain positions, which I can call up via presets. I built the electronics myself for my Focusrite project. What happened to your broken fader, do you still have it?

Well, automation is a bit of a stretch. I only use the faders to move to and save certain positions, which I can call up via presets. I built the electronics myself for my Focusrite project. What happened to your broken fader, do you still have it?
The dodgy fader is still in service, with a bit of tape to hold the knob shaft pressed sideways into a position where both channels pass audio! When I install the replacement standard fader next week I'll do a more thorough repair to the GML so that it will be available in the future as a backup.

Back