Separated by a common language/humour?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Krcwell said:
johnheath said:
In the beginning of the 90s I was stationed in the UN armed forces in Lebanon and in Bosnia and if there was anything I learned from that period is that if people want to communicate they will manage this even thoug the language is the barrier itself.

Today in my line of work I meet a lot of refuges and I face the sama again... if people want to communicate they will solve it, but if the don't they will never solve it

Just a personal point of view

Regards

/John

Very interesting. In your experience, are there any similar things that people find funny across many cultures/languages?

Yes, of course... a humble attitude and a big smile works well all over the world :)

In the 70's I did some voluntary work in the Congo and I had 20 African workmen to help me.

At the start of one day, we got word that our youngest  guy was off sick.  Later that day we drove through his village and he was dancing about and waving to us, it was obvious to all and sundry that he had pulled a sickie, but was too dumb to stay out of sight.

I said Moto Pamba quietly to myself, which means useless man, but the way I said it, it meant stupid dick head and my workmen just fell about laughing, so I agree that humour is universal, at least in Africa it is.

DaveP

Latest posts

Back