September garden

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fruit and veg that has a chance to ripen naturally on the branch is hard to beat for flavour and freshness ,course the trade off is the need for pest control measures with certain things . The Greek dish mousakka is one of my all time favourites with aubergene (egg plant).

My small raised bed garden is pretty much done.... My attempt at planting a second round has a couple pepper plants about 3" tall. Pretty much all of my second planting of tomato sprouts burned up in the Aug heat.

Time to start waiting for my Pecan trees to bear fruit, but a little more waiting involved.

JR

course the trade off is the need for pest control measures with certain things
As mentioned the egg plant has not had insect problems. The Brussel sprouts has had some worms eating the leaves Rather than spray any insecticide I chose to find the worms an pick them off which is easy. You also need to look for egg sacks on the back side of the leaves and pick those off. They are also running late with the Colorado weather. We’re at 6500 feet here and that has an affect on time length for maturity. We had a big snow storm the end of May and I was building raised beds that got delayed. It caused the planting to be delayed until about the 10th of June. Should be middle of May planting . I made some mistakes in my planting to close as well as. Shorter plants like peppers. Being behind tall plants. It’s a hobby you get better at with more years of experience.

Eggplant parmigiana is the first dish we are fixing with the e plant. My vegetarian daughter is looking forward to that one.

It’s been great fun to play in the garden this year.

We got Dow to freeze but the Brussel sprouts are still going. Probably done this weekend. I got a box of green tomatoes. I’ve never tried fried green tomatoes.

I harvested the last of my bell peppers before the freeze... I have too many jalapenos still on the plant and they will go to the compost pile still attached.

I have one late cantelope about 2" diameter but the leaves on it's vine all look dead... I don't expect a good outcome.

JR

yes...

JR
I guess I'm just really surprised, I can only remember a couple times it frosted here in October and we're a couple hundred miles further north and I looked at the weather and you folks are pretty consistently about 10 degrees warmer. My dad's usually got tomatoes still growing in the garden in November and my basil is still outside.

It was not typical weather... I just looked at the weather forecast for this week and the overnight lows are 50-60s but it only takes one hard frost to upset plants. My outdoor thermometer reads a little high because of where I have it located (right outside my bedroom window), it only registered 33 for the low that night. All but one plant in my raised bed garden died, and I moved that one surviving pepper plant inside into my small greenhouse that is heated. I typically use the greenhouse for starting seeds in the early spring, but this winter I am experimenting with a couple plants in flower pots. I tried to start a few tomato and pepper, but the tomatoes died off so I only have 2 pepper plants still alive now.

JR

Latest posts

Back