September garden

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm jealous. I lost this years blueberry crop to that late frost. image.jpegMy fig tree took a hard hit from that late freeze, every branch on that fig tree died. The root refused to die and pushed up tens of up-shoots. I have since pruned those up-shoots down to about 7 trunks. The new tree is almost 3' tall already. For chuckles I put all the pruned shoots into water to see if I can root any and make new trees. A handful didn't make it and have been culled out, but these survivors look pretty green for dead uns. Every day or two I remove more discarded leaves and refresh the water.

My granny smith apple tree that made too many apples its first year (last year) only has 5 apples coming this year, a good thing. My young peach tree dropped its weak attempts last year. This year I see two peaches maybe. One peach is still growing larger, the weird double peach has withered and stopped growing. I expect it to fall off.

My two unlucky raised bed spots where my seedlings kept dying, now have a cantaloupe and a cucumber, alive and well. I suspect the 70' overnight temps are responsible.

Last week I planted a half dozen black raspberry bare root plants.

My pecan trees are looking OK... because of all the windy weather I did not perform my winter horticultural oil spray to kill insect eggs. I have been holding off until the pollen tassels drop, and they just did so now I can spray some neem oil. I have seen woodpeckers feasting on bugs so they need a dose of insecticide.

I have been trying to follow the "no mow May" program to support bees feasting on yard clover. I have been paying attention and haven't seen more than a handful of bees so far this season. Not sure I can make it another two weeks without mowing, but I am willing to try.

JR

Latest posts

Back