Seventh Circle preamp hum

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> Chris, you unmasked me as an idoit.

Hummmmmm makes you stupid. Been there, gone nuts myself. It is often something so very simple that everybody can see it except the guy who is suffering. Chris just explained it best.

One of the "hot" lines was really the shield. You had 30 feet of exposed un-shielded wire going to a high-gain input. While the input was differential, the line was not catching the same hum on both "hot" pins, because one side was inside and the other was the outside.

Without termination, big buzz. With most passive mikes, the mike Z is high enough that the buzz is not swamped. With solid-state condenser mikes, their very low Z swamps the buzz darn well. Also you would typically turn-down the preamp before connecting a hot condenser, or the studio acoustic noise in the hot condenser mike drowns-out the hum.

I used to run a lot of unbalanced dynamics: with the hot on the inside of a shield, it is often low-low-hummm.

I run a lot of unbalanced and un-shielded line-level stuff. If the level is fairly high (not even +4/+20dBu) and the source Z is low (100Ω or less), in many rooms hum is not a problem. $2 electret, 26dB gain, 47Ω Zout, 100 feet of speaker wire and unshielded network wire, no hum and nearly-no click when the elevator clacks off.

As for the solder cups: tin both sides, then I hold the connector and wire up to a soldering iron setting on the bench. I think I have a No-Hands but have never used it. I've often soldered on top of a ladder or molding.

If the joint will stand a 5 pound yank, it is probably electrically good and (with cable-clamp) may survive hard use.

brad, you just learned something you'll never forget forever.

the lessons that sting a little when you learn them are generally the ones that you hold onto the longest.

I still cant apply ohms law but I can wire cables all day because of mistakes learned like that.

dave

I'm glad that i got to the bottom of this little nagging problem. I love these pres with ribbon mics and they just weren't playing nice together.

and yes, looking back at the measurements, they were pointing directly at my problem!

thanks guys...
-bb

The simplest mistakes are the easiest to make, especially when you get into the groove. I still sing a little song to myself when making mic cables...."Too hot, two hot, too hot, two hot..." :green:

Now if I had a dollar for every time I soldered on a TRS connector before putting on the connector barrel... I think I once made a 16 channel snake like that.

Latest posts

Back