Seymour Duncan Convertible 60W combo - AAAARRGGHH !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi fellas,

Just came across this old post, and thought I'd reply, as the problem was down to the vias underneath the main filter caps.
After going around in circles for a while, I started from the beginning (again),  de-soldered the filter caps and checked continuity between the top and bottom tracks, and hey presto, one of the vias were missing !!

Was kicking myself...

Re-made the connection, and works a treat.
Sounds bloody lovely too.

Learned a load doing it too ;)

Thanks to all the chaps for replying with help, it was really appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Steve :)

Hwyl lads,

First of all, I got to say, I am not by a long shot, a Guitar amp expert, so go easy on me...

Had a bit of spare time today (very rare !), and decided to have a look at that bloody SD convertable combo amp, and have another go.
this time with the speaker connected, instead of a load resistor.

voltages, Tubes and the O/P transformer seem ok.
Bias is a fixed negative voltage applied at point E, and is around 60 odd Volts

Plugged a guitar in, and -Well, it's loud as hell, but it seems to have turned into a 'ring modulator' of sorts :shock: and the problem seems to be coming from around the driver stage.

if fed with a 1KHz tone, from the instrument input - at the driver grid 1 - signal is clean, but the output on anode 1 is 'modulated.
After putting a scope on the amp , getting a real wierd waveform across the speaker, looking like the B+ is somehow, getting onto the output.

i have tried with the output valves removed,(2x EL34's) but the problem is still there ( modulated driver output on plate 1)
IMG_4483.jpg

big version is here
http://www.diyguitarist.com/Schematics/60wSDC-Schematic.gif
Output drawing is here
http://www.diyguitarist.com/Schematics/SDC60-PowerSchem.pdf
It is a differential driver amp (ECC83 - 12AX7), with one side being fed off the fx return, and the other grid is fed off the feedback tap, off the O/P transformer (16 ohm output). now what i cant seem to grasp, is, why the diode is in the cathode circuit - what is it doing ? ( it is a CIL-41301 - a current regulating diode- I've never come across one of these before !)
voltage on the anode of the diode, is 1.88 V, whereas the cathode side , is around -50V.

CR5, CR12, JMP-1, JMP-2 are not fitted in this amp (240V operation)

I'm scratching my head a bit with this.....any help is really appreciated.
Steve :thumb:
Hi Gents!

I have one of these 60 watt convertible amps on the bench, I need the schematic, can some one send them or post them, the old link is dead.
thanks

Back