Should I?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and, as far as I know, Bernd did the soundsamples with lousy 20% tolerance potentiometers ...

it was just to show you that we have working units (in beta testing), and to give you an conception how it sounds.

don't always cry for soundsamples until the gear is finished :green:

and be aware, the rotary switches are a lot of work. :thumb:
still haven't finished mine yet. :oops:

and as always: no soundsamples from me :green:

even mine is not finished yet, I already love it.
not the easiest project, but with character :grin:

Hi all,

got home from a business trip last night and the first thing I did was take a listen to the WAVs on my studio monitors (Adam S3A, DAC-1). I'm still blown away, I just love the character of the compression. Is it appropriate for a solo piano piece? Probably not but that's not the point of the quickie test. Bernd is quite happy that the distortion was caused by a dodgy pot.

Analag if you have the time and inclination to run a few samples of what this compressor can do with the different time contants then I'd love to hear them. If not that's no problem.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Personally I like mid attack/release setting where the machine becomes a whole different beast. Everything takes more size and weight. I have built two different Fairchild type compressors, with my last one going beyond the original 670 featuring (31) tubes, and the characterisic of the compression is the same. So the Fairchild topology has a sound which is why it is so sought after, it can glue sounds together unlike any other compression device. You either love it or you don't.

analag

Sorry guys didn't mean to make a big deal about the distortion thingy, I was just curious if it was in my system or not, thats why I asked.

most of the time my ears play tricks on me

[quote author="cannikin"]
most of the time my ears play tricks on me[/quote]

unlike the band i had in last week end whos ears played tricks on them, they thought they had tallent :green:

[quote author="lofi"][quote author="cannikin"]
most of the time my ears play tricks on me[/quote]

unlike the band i had in last week end whos ears played tricks on them, they thought they had tallent :green:[/quote]

Totally been there....Better yet... Bands that "have a process" but that "process" waists about 90% of their booked studio time.

Anyway.. back to one of the biggest Group tube comp builds in PPro history.

demo sounds great. what kind/brand of tubes? sorry if that was mentioned.

sounds like it would kill on vocals.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28175&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Ladies and gentlemen, there you have it. Build and enjoy all the attitude this compressor will bring to your music.

analag

[quote author="analag"]http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28175&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Ladies and gentlemen, there you have it. Build and enjoy all the attitude this compressor will bring to your music.

analag[/quote]

Thanks for your genorosity.Something tells me it is going to be a big hit :guinness:

wow... this is awsome!
Can you maybe give an idea obout how much will all the parts cost for one mono unit.... So I can think about how much PCBs I want....
Thank You

Jonas

[quote author="ognam2"]Can you maybe give an idea obout how much will all the parts cost for one mono unit.... So I can think about how much PCBs I want....[/quote]
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=340127#340127

Someone mentioned some pages back that there is a stock transformer that looks to meet the PS transformer specs, except the 15v. http://www.antekinc.com/AN-1T250.pdf

The stock Antek will provide 250v (.5A), 12.6v(2amp)and 6.3v(3amp)

We need: 250V @ 80mA, 15V @20mA and 6.3V @3A

I'm always mixed up with different versions of milli -- is 80mA = .08A?

Is the 15v regulated? If so, we could probably get the 15v out of the 12.6v on the Antek? Someone tell me it will work, please. :grin:

[quote author="tommypiper"]
We need: 250V @ 80mA, 15V @20mA and 6.3V @3A

quote][/quote]

from the other thread,

[quote author="analag"]How about this for two channels,

250V @160mA
18V-0-18V @1A
8-9V @ 6A

analag[/quote]

Back