[silent:arts] & classicapi developing a new “Plug-In” HiZ DI format

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well looks terrific and it's a great way to have look of the filled board, i used Eagle to practice, but i'll have to try target in the future! Great work man!

The DK FET version is a go Volker.  ;D

I sent Dan a message asking for his permission to use his published circuit. He replied back to me and I quote "Sure!". It doesn't get much better than that!

Best, Jeff

IMG_5910.jpg

have to wait for the pins and sockets.
forgot to tell Lukas the diameter of the pins, we will have to drill a little bit.

your packages are on the way btw, shipped the HiZ separated in a registered letter.
no email about this, since I managed to include some Augustiner in the MacBook yesterday while Lukas was here.
no backspace anymore, funny other things happen, I'm writing from my "Music" computer right now ::) ::) ;D

I finally got all of my HiZ parts on order. Locating some of the transistors was a pain and not cheap.  ???

I have been playing with the Pikatron version and the Jensen version on the proto VP312DI. the Jensen sounds very nice as we might expect for a $71 DI transformer!  :eek: The Pikatron sounds a little smaller...not as full but fantastic for the price. Usable for many things no doubt.

Anyhow, so far so good. I can't wait to try some of the FET versions.

Regards, Jeff  :)

Mike, it doesn't make sense to manufacture them before any project uses them.

Jeff and me did some protos made by Lukas for testing, as far as I know not all are tested yet.
(I didn't test yet due to a lack of time), Jeff is faster than me, and I have some other things on the shelf right now).

however, once Jeff orders his main board we will order.
in the meantime the specs are clear and you are welcome to design and try your own,
it is an open format :)

Volker,

I completely understand. Sorry for the confusion but, it was not about me trying to make my own plugin board (not as of yet :)). I am more curious in how the existing plugins differ in sound/character from one to the next. I like experimenting with different options/sound possibilities.  ;)

the Jensen sounds very nice as we might expect for a $71 DI transformer!

jeff- in case you weren't aware, cinemag make their own version of this DI transformer - much cheaper, and actually slightly better specs i believe... they sound great.

i've made 8 little di boxes using them. unfortunately 2 got stolen (off the stage, during a show mind you!) while on tour in france a few years ago. i was mixing front of house, and the acoustic guitar wasn't coming through... "i thought that's weird", someone on stage saw that the di was missing, we replaced it. and then at the end of the show the replacement DI was gone too! someone must have been cherry picking them off the stage... ?!! very strange.

Hi,

I'm about to put a pair of the DK-circuit on Veroboard, but -for convenience for subsequent builds- I was wondering if there are any near-future plans for a PCB-version of this ? (HiZ-FET4)

Thanks,

Peter

Hi,

Thanks already, I'll let you know how things go!

OK, I'll start with #4, to keep the pressure of owning the only board a bit manageable  ;) 

I'll check which parts I'll need, thought I had several already around.

I recall the discussion about which taste of JFET for #4... wasn't that the 2SK170 in -BL flavour ?

Bye,

Peter

are you looking to add a  di for keyboards or other electric instruments?

My 2 cents

stick a transformer in there and your done. not the inexpensive option but not too expensive either.

[silent:arts] said:
Peter,

packed an envelope with HiZ-FET1 to 4 prototype PCBs.
don't have any HiZ-FET4 for myself now anymore,
you are the beta-tester now ;D

Hi Volker & Jeff,

Delayed  :-[ , but not forgotten!  ;)

Cheers,

Peter

Latest posts

Back