Sinn7 dual band Ribbon microphone for DIY - anyone knows these microphones?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ln76d

Does anyone have experience with Sinn7 dual band ribbon mike?
Those are "German" Chinese microphones.
Really cheap.
I really like this "cell phone" type design.
Unfortunately i have no option to see how it looks inside.
Does anyone knows, does it motor is worth anything?
I was thinking to put some good transformer and change the ribbon, but without sure, that's worth anything I don't want  throw out the cash.
I'll be happily if someone can share with his experiences.

Attachments

• sinn7-dualband_578.jpg
    sinn7-dualband_578.jpg
    40.4 KB
Looks like the same as one of the Avantone mics. Here is a peek inside a faulty one. I had to replace the magnets!

http://xaudiaelektrik.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/when-good-magnets-go-bad.html

I am NOT saying that they will all go bad, but make sure you have a warrantee.

The owner liked it on guitar cabs.

Transformer is standard chinese thing if I recall right.

Cheers!

Stewart

And...

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Avant/CR-14

Shows some other brands. Do a google search for Avantone dual ribbon and you should find some reviews.

zebra50 said:
And...

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Avant/CR-14

Shows some other brands. Do a google search for Avantone dual ribbon and you should find some reviews.

Thank you Stewart!!

I knew that i saw earlier somewhere this microphone :D
I couldn't remember:D

What do you think about this microphone as donor of parts?

It's worth to work on it?

I can buy it (without warranty) for less than 50 euro.

I have an old octava ml51, on which i'm working, maybe this sinn7 enclosure
will be good for passive circuit for ml51 motor, which looks very fine...

Most of the chinese ribbons fall under three categories. Long ribbon, short ribbon, and dual ribbon. Other than their outer shells, the guts are usually very similar, if not the same. So, with all the internals being "equal" the best designs for cheap ribbons are the ones that adhere to good headbasket design. In the case of the mic you are interested in, two flat and parallel surfaces are not a good idea. There are too many opportunities for standing waves to develop. Also, a dual ribbon design would need to have both ribbons tuned the same to sound its best. That is not an easy task without testing equipment.

-James-

To cut identicial two ribbons it's completely no problem, but to set the same tension it is :) I imagine that it's a lot of work :)
Did you tried some of incarnation of this microphone?
I do not assumed that i make miracles from chinese ribbons and probably i'll leave this project.
I have three reslo to rebuild, so maybe i'll focus on them.

Thank you Guys for advices and links!

I've modded an Electro-Harmonix EH-R1 dual ribbon mic with a new Lundhal transformer, 14-gauge solid-core wire (twisted), removed the high-frequency enhancers, and a new headbasket design. It is the same mic as the Oktava ML-52-02, so the mods were ones I found for the Oktava.
Its a good mic now, but it was a lot of body work to get those thin ribs that are prone to ringing out of the equation.

-James-

I know well this dual ribbon. It is not well designed microphone and I'd describe the sound as fuzzy, boomy, with poor defined low mids, and severely rolled off top. I am sure there are some uses for it, but generally, there are much more versatile Chinese ribbons out there.

HellfireStudios said:
Most of the chinese ribbons fall under three categories. Long ribbon, short ribbon, and dual ribbon.

Historically, the short ribbons are around 1" in length. The Chinese ribbon microphones which referred as "short" in fact are about 1 3/4", so to apply to them term "short" would be completely incorrect. Unfortunately, even some ribbon microphone reselling companies adopted this term. If anything, those microphones should be called "medium ribbon".

Best, M

Latest posts

Back