Smoothing the POP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan

Administrator
Admin
It seems a lot of gear injects (ranging from slight to extreme) a click/pop into the audio signal when powered up. Is there a good way to prevent this? Small decoupling caps at the output?

Thanks,
-E

not sure about preventing it, but most studios are pretty strict about muting the speakers when powering or patching something. Great way to lose a woofer. I turn my power amp on last and power everything else up first.

Yes,
but couldn't there be a solution at the particular gear level, instead of relying on pading or muting or other things later on in the signal chain?
I always turn my amp on last, and turn down before powering up a box in the signal chain, but it would be great if this was unncessary.

Thanks as always!
-E

Well, you CAN buy sequenced power controllers. We had one on one of our PA systems for a while. You flip the switch and it turns on your equipment in sequence from head-end down the line to power amp.

Also, a mute switch before the power amp, to engage when patching, etc., would not be hard to implement.

No, not hard to DIY if you know how to wire AC power circuits properly and safely.

The most straightforward way I can think of is a bank of timers, each triggered by the output of the previous timer in the chain.

There is a method whereby you can make a self-powered ramping soft-start circuit (takes up to 20 or so secs if desired) with one transistor, but the circuit I know of can only handle an amp or so. Let me know if this is helpful and I?ll try and contact my friend for the schematic (he uses it on commercial units, is quite safe).

The second method would involve taking a bridge rectifier, 2 caps (size determines lag) and a relay. The circuit is mains powered. The circuit I have on my power-amps takes around a second for the relay to click, you?ll obviously have to use Ohm?s law for your app. In my amps there are large current-limiting resistors supplying a ?primer? current to the mains transformer, and then the relay clicks providing full mains current. You could adapt this circuit, leaving out the series resistors, and put the audio-out through the relay, but you may have to implement extra decoupling for the relay supply as it?s a raw supply?? (Anyone comment? If reservoir caps are large that should provide enough decoupling?). There may still possibly be a dc-offset so the second method may not cure all???

If you only need an amp or so I can see if I can ask my friend for the 1 transistor circuit, or maybe a whiz ?round here can rustle up something? :wink:

Cheers,
Justin

> pop into the audio signal when powered up. Is there a good way to prevent this?

Leave everything on.

You want a POP: my lawn tractor has a backfire when you turn it off. Must be a basic flaw, because it even has an extra part on the carb to reduce shut-off backfire, but it still does it. I keep my earmuffs on until I hear the POP or the engine is really-really stopped.

(It would help if the beast had a muffler bigger than my thumb....)

Those pops bug me too. Especially plugging in a mic and then hitting the phantom. Really hurts my hears thru the bones, so I have become trained like a monkey to slide the cans off while plugging xlr's.
Using make befor break rotariy switches where applicable.

Back