So I want to build a pedal generator!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan

Administrator
Admin
OK. This isn't audio related, but it would be good for your health :green:

Lately I've been thinking of building a Pedal Generator (a contraption where you pedel as if you're on a bike, and electricity is generated). I was thinking, as much time as I spend on the computer, if I had to pedal to generate the juice to keep my computer on, I'd get some extra exercise!

Now, granted I spend 3-4 days/week in the gym as it is, I still feel lazy when I'm just working on the computer, thinking my legs could be doing something productive while my fingers are typing away.

I did a search and couldn't find much info on actual instructions on building one. I figure it probably wouldn't be that difficult. I could take apart my old bike pedal gear. I'm just a little in the dark about building a generator. I would like to create a way to 'store' the energy generated so that built up energy could be stored and used later.

Any ideas on how to do this? :green: (I'm not sure why, but as soon as this idea popped into my head, I immediately thought that 'Consul' would be interested in this project. :grin: )

Ethan that's a great idea! The first law of entertainment says, "the only thing in showbiz you can't fake is electricity". It's very hard to be an electronic musician with no electricity. If there was a way to charge up a big UPS or something by pedaling it would help during power failures, which happen very regularly around here. And it would be great exercise. I love it.

:thumb: :guinness: :sam: :green: :thumb:

Yeah, Here in MD, we lost power for 2 WEEKS because of hurricane Isabel last year. I couldn't even use a phone in my house because all of my phones needed juice. You really don't know the role electricity plays in your life until you lose it for 2 WEEKS!

IIRC a human in good shape can produce about 1HP for a short time. I think .3hp is possable long term if in good shape. FWIW I think the Kilo is very cool human vs mind.

now the easy way would be to take a dc motor like the ones in kids toy cars that they can drive. attach a wheel to the motor shaft and have the wheel contact the bicycle wheel like the old surmy archer(sp) dyno's for bicycles.

or you could wind some coils. attach magnets to the rim of the wheel. as the magnet pass the coils current will be induced, connect the coils to a diode bridge and charge some cells. the magnets could be the ones from old HDs

They have the exact same thing your talking about at a gym over here. You pedal a bike and surf the net at the same time. As soon as you stop pedaling, your computer turns off!
Pretty slick , eh?

You could put an old fashioned bike lite generator on there, I don't know weather it would have the juice to power a laptop.
Or you could rig up an ol car alternator with a fan belt and pulley, you would need to boost the rpm's.
Howabout a generator on a hampster wheel? let some rodent do the work!
:razz:

Ethan,

You could use an alternator with belt and pully to charge a small deep
cycle battery which would power an Inverter which would power your
PC.

:idea:

There would need to be some regulation. The problem with simple dynamos (like DC motors "in reverse") is that they generate more with greater speed. Modern car alternators don't because of the regulation....

Now the later aircooled VWs had dynamo-type generators on them (belt-driven) that might be capable of about 45A DC, and they were regulated by a little box located either on top of the generator itself (on the later 1302 and 1303 super-beetles in Europe....US had some different revision levels) or under the seat on the pre-1973 or so versions- that might just be the ticket. 45A at 12V is almost 500W, which is what a UPS might need to be rated at to run a computer & monitor with the necessary peripherals. A 12V battery could be used to maintain the computer power and network connections while you took a business call or something, and an inverter would run the 120V stuff.

So you didn't get lazy and let the battery do the work and slowly run down, a center-zero, -60A...0...+60A DC ammeter in line with either of the battery posts would tell you how you were doing. If you were generating less than the computer were pulling, the ammeter would indicate current flowing out of the battery, contributing to the inverter's current demand. As you pedalled with just sufficient effort to sustain the inverter's need, the current would be zero, indicating that the generator is meeting the inverter's needs, and the battery is neither charging nor discharging, and if you got energetic, the battery would charge from the excess power produced. ...just like a VW engine running at a lower than usual idle speed... if you turned the lights on, the battery would be running down until you increased the idle speed a bit!

The needle on the DC ammeter would be in negative territory for under-generation, zero for equilibrium, and positive territory for "way to go Ethan" rates of production.

Bicycles, Aircooled VW parts and DIY... It's the machine I was born to build!!! :green:

Keef

Supposedly, Eddy Merckx was putting out 200 watts when he broke the hour record, so figure you could put out about 100 watts, which is about 8 amps at 12 volts. That would charge a 60 amp hour car battery in about 8 hours.
Or 4 hours on crack. :razz:
:guinness:

I don't think 100 watts would be enough to power a standard desktop computer. Maybe a laptop, but I don't know what their power requirements are.

[quote author="Admin"]I'm not sure why, but as soon as this idea popped into my head, I immediately thought that 'Consul' would be interested in this project.[/quote]

Are you saying I'm fat?! :green:

Actually, I am, and I need to lose weight. I bought a bike to ride to work, only to get hit by a computer virus on our network that require I have my car. *sigh*

Now, if you want to talk about alternative energy sources, I'm all over that one! :thumb:

1 Hp =746 watts. 200 watts is less than a 1/3 hp.

Now back to DC to DC converters, some DC to DC converter circuits can have a variable voltage input and a constant voltage output. The constant voltage output could work with lead acid cells. 2.2 V per cell for charging and less for float. Temp changes the float voltage needed for good life.

IIRC Some of the new CPUs generate around 100watts of heat.

DC/DC converters can be a little lossy... I should think that any extra conversion stages need to be minimised... the DC/AC inverter actually usually has a window of tolerance, but regulating the voltage ouput of an alternator/generator actually regulates the load as well, so that's very efficient by comparison.

Keith

> I've been thinking of building a Pedal Generator

If you are having trouble paying the electric bill for "our" forum, pass the hat, we'll chip in.

> Supposedly, Eddy Merckx was putting out 200 watts when he broke the hour record... 1 Hp =746 watts. 200 watts is less than a 1/3 hp.

A good reference power for a good cyclist for more than a sprint is about 0.25 horsepower (186 Watts). Although you can train (or drug) leg muscles pretty big, your lungs are only about 1/4 the size of a horse's lungs, so your sustained power is about 1/4HP. Merckx's 1/3HP (250W) for an hour is a very good performance, which is why he holds a record.

If you have ever run with a pack of good cyclists, averaging 100-150 Watts for miles, you know you would not want to work a computer at the same time. Even if you could hold your upper body and typing-finger steady while your legs spin madly, your body, brain, and fingers run at the edge of oxygen starvation and get slow and dull. Seems to me that a better output while doing office work is in the 50 to 100 Watt range. That's at the bicycle wheel; there will be additional loss in step-up gearing, winding resistance, generator field power, and whatever you use to turn this unstable power into steady power.

And be realistic: the utility company will sell you 100 steady reliable Watts for a penny an hour. Pedal 25 hours a week: You "make" $1 per month, $12 a year, $120 a decade. You need to be junk-rich to assemble an efficient pedal-generator that will break-even on economic grounds. And in strict economic terms, you have to count some of your food-costs as "engine fuel". (On the other hand, if you are paying a gym to loan you a bike, then you could break-even just on gym membership fees.)

The most obvious generator is a car alternator. However these are scaled for about 1,000 Watts output, so at 100 Watts output there may be more drag and loss than output. Also they are made for a vehicle with 100+HP (74,600+ Watts) of power on tap, so low-load efficiency is not important. A motorcycle dynamo may be a better scale, but they are not laying around most folk's garages and some of these are just weird. (My BSA just tapped the ignition magneto, and then wasted all excess voltage in a humongous Zener.)

Also, the car alternator scaled for 1,000 Watts output has a 25 Watt field coil. Until you get to 12V, the first 25W of whatever you pedal all go into the field coil, not the load. That's a lot of overhead for a 50W-100W system. A 100W alternator from a smaller vehicle (small motorcycle, lawn tractor) would have a smaller field coil so more of your leg-work ends up in the load.

Most dynamos work about the same as far as gearing. Take a car alternator for simplicity. It may not exceed 12V until engine speed hits 700-1,000RPM. The alternator is usually belted-up 1:2, so at minimum voltage it turns 1,500-2,000RPM. The bicycle pedals turn 70RPM for best leg performance. Bike gears vary, and can be variable; 48:16 or 1:3 speed is a typical one-gear ratio, 52:13 (1:4) to 28:32 (0.9) are common. So the rear wheel turns 210RPM (280-60RPM). Not fast enough to hang a standard small alternator on. You would get maybe 4 or 5 Volts flailing in top gear. We need a total 1:28 step-up gear ratio. Normally you do not want to exceed 1:10 in a single stage of gearing: either friction or size becomes large. However a 2-stage gear is size and friction too. 1:28 is a rather unhappy number. Oh well. Given the 200RPM wheel, we want another 1:8 or 1:10 speed step-up.

There is the "obvious" trick: the tire is about 27 inches diameter, so if we put a 3 inch wheel on the alternator and press it against the tire, we have the right gear ratio. Possible alterative is a belt around the wheel and a 3" pulley on the alternator: cog-tooth belts will run well on a small pulley and can also get good non-cogged grip on something as large as a bicycle wheel. But they are not cheap. A standard car fan-belt may actually work OK, if you can find a shallow flat-bottom one to ride the wheel well. Thinner is probably better: the heavy-duty belt for my ThunderBurd probably had a significant fraction of a horsepower of internal friction when bent around small pulleys. In a bike's higher gears, you are unlikely to be able to break any standard fan-belt 3/8" or wider. In office work, 1/4" might be strong enough, but won't fit car-size pulleys.

Motorcycle and other smaller dynamos usually like higher speeds. A cycle alternator might need a 2" wheel pressed against the tire; if you find a 100W DC motor (most DC motors work fine as generators) it may want a 1" wheel. Jamming a small wheel hard against a rubber tire gets into rubber-flex drag, so you don't want to go real far this way.

In principle, strapping magnets (old hard drive guts) to the wheel and coils (oversize guitar pickups) to the frame will give you electricity. To work at low RPM you need more magnet and copper than an "optimized" design, and you are likely to have a lot of leakage flux. And getting the voltage to come out right will be trial and error. And it will be variable frequency AC, which may need more conversion before use.

Honestly, in most offices, this is a dumb idea. Utility electricity is so much cheaper and better than a bike-dynamo that it is a waste of money. You might think what else you can do with spin directly, instead of making electric to do something. If your office is cool, just pedaling will warm you up, and adding a drag-brake will release 50W-100W of heat too. If your office is hot, a bunch of boards shoved in the spokes will fan a good breeze up your butt. If your coffee pot filter leaks sediment, strap your cup to the wheel and centrifuge the grit to the bottom. Heck, get a thick-wall insulated metal teapot and drag it on the tire, pedal hard: you could make boiling water without electricity in less than an hour.

>Heck, get a thick-wall insulated metal teapot and drag it on the tire, pedal hard: you could make boiling water without electricity in less than an hour.
One replacement tire: $16
Patched repair for teapot: $25
PG tips teabag $1

Having the rest of the office think you're a wierdo: -Priceless! :green:

Keef

Back