So it just so happens that 'audiophoolery opinions' can be almost all be backed up with facts.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ELS

While there are things like "oxygen free copper airy audio cable 1000$ 100% will make your hifi sound better, no refunds" which are questionable, to say the least.
Most things you've probably been told and have thought as well, that they're entirely BS, actually have facts behind them.

First let's differentiate "Is no difference" and "You can't hear the difference". You shouldn't ever mix these 2 together, that's when discussions turn to shit because you can try however hard you can to convince someone that they cannot hear the difference, but if they feel that they do, then you're just going to make every unhappy.
Instead a more favorable way to judge this would be saying how big the difference is, for example if I say "I've heard that long runs of cable have higher capacitive load on high impedance signals, changing the sound" you could say, "yeah it often has a big effect". However if I say "The static electricity affecting the audio signal depending on what type of rug your mic cable is laying on" You could say "I seriously doubt that has any perceivable effect"
Instead of saying "Audiophool BS" at every theory that isn't very generic. There's far too much hostility in the audio world, being an enraged asshole doesn't help anyone, do you think audio engineers in the 20th century judged everything that others did with antagonism? no, yet they defined an entire era.

So back on the topic of facts:
Most ignored belief in the audiophile community seems to be 'capacitor tone', which many people think is utter BS.
If you generalize capacitors then yes it seems obvious that a simple component in principle wouldn't change much depending on how it's constructed. Yet many audiophiles disagree. Why? because they sway more on the 'feelings matter more than fact' thought process.
So in reality is it BS? No, there's dielectric loss in capacitors, and each insulation is different in linearity. Why do people disagree with capacitor tone when some capacitors like X5U ceramics are told to be "not good for audio, non-linear".
So you generalize capacitors between "non-linear" and "linear"? That isn't very engineer-like.
Still don't believe me that there is an effect?
Here's a couple articles someone made, posting pictures of curve tracer lines of various capacitors:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050222090327/http://members.aol.com/sbench102/caps.htmlhttps://web.archive.org/web/20050223115951/http://members.aol.com/sbench102/caps2.html
Then you might say "well those lines are practically straight for most capacitors". But that's just lazy an ignorant.
The difference is there.

I've also heard a mention of removing the outer aluminum case on soviet teflon caps to make it sound "much more lively".
Do I disagree and call them an audiophool? no, I instead try to find some way I can see or hear this difference, instead of dismissing it as pseudo-science or whatever.
And if I can't, I don't say that it's absolutely certainly proven wrong, I'd just say that with all the methods I used, I couldn't tell any difference.

I don't get where all this hostility comes from. And it's not just limited to the audio world, it can be seen in every scientific discussion.

Back in the 1980s I wrote a magazine column called "Audio Mythology", like magical dragons some of the old myths refuse to stay dead. :rolleyes:

Audio technology is quite mature, while human nature remains fallible and susceptible to suggestion.

JR
Well then let computers design our world.
It's such a nice thing to know people have given up in art, instead they rely on "far superior" calculators to do everything.

I like how I literally posted proof of my point, the best there is. But I guess you think someone just drew those lines with a market on an old crt just to fake it all.

This forum doesn't seem nearly as great as it did, looking at 15 year old threads.

Well then let computers design our world.
It's such a nice thing to know people have given up in art, instead they rely on "far superior" calculators to do everything.

I like how I literally posted proof of my point, the best there is. But I guess you think someone just drew those lines with a market on an old crt just to fake it all.

This forum doesn't seem nearly as great as it did, looking at 15 year old threads.
Proof? Oh please.

Go watch a few videos on the Audio Science Review youtube site. People claim they can hear differences with the slightest changes to their system, and when Amir measures the things, whatver they are, they show no method or mechanism by which these things can sound different.

Too many audiophools rely on the "there are things we can't measure" to explain the differences... which means they believe in magic.

We prefer to believe in science.

Regarding your proof, you posted to something on archive, and we know nothing about the methodologies used (perhaps they were flawed), the items tested (perhaps they were damaged), what devices were used to test (perhaps they weren't calibrated), etc...

You really need to change your attitude or you'll be banned.

First let's differentiate "Is no difference" and "You can't hear the difference". You shouldn't ever mix these 2 together, that's when discussions turn to shit because you can try however hard you can to convince someone that they cannot hear the difference, but if they feel that they do, then you're just going to make every unhappy.

I would recommend researching the difference between subjective and objective. If belief is the sole basis for conclusion, without scientific corroboration, you have entered the realm of magic.

Just maybe the point is that many of us know what we are talking about. Or admit when we are looking for knowledgeable input from people with experience/ expertise. eg. I know much about opamp / transistor applications. With, say, transformers then not so much.
It's clear that some capacitor dielectrics are not the correct choice if design target is accuracy. This is not for debate tbh.

"Watch youtube videos" yeah like the re-encoded 128kbps AAC codec audio is gonna make you hear the difference...
What does the CODEC used on youtube have to do with anything when the channel is SHOWING you their methodologies used, and they results from their test equipment?

Seriously man. Get a grip. Quit being an insulting douchebag.

That high frequency transients are an illusion and should be ignored?
No. High frequency information shouldn't just be IGNORED. Like in the case of DSD recording. The process requires noise-shaping the 1-bit noise into the ultrasonic. This makes is a highly flawed format and no one should take it seriously as an audio delivery mechanism. All of that high frequency noise has the possibility that it might damage tweeters and cause some amplifiers to oscillate.

My major beef with the audiophoolery world is not whether there's a difference or not, it's the price gouging. There may well be a measurable and noticeable difference between some decent quality generic speaker cables and the ones who have their copper crystals aligned with the phases of the moon, but charging $9,000 for them is criminal. And having a rude and combative approach will definitely not win anyone over to your cause.

My major beef with the audiophoolery world is not whether there's a difference or not, it's the price gouging. There may well be a measurable and noticeable difference between some decent quality generic speaker cables and the ones who have their copper crystals aligned with the phases of the moon, but charging $9,000 for them is criminal. And having a rude and combative approach will definitely not win anyone over to your cause.
Amir measures these things. Often, they measure the same as the speaker wire you can get at your local home store. otherwise they measure WORSE than the wire you can get at your home store.

But no one can hear those differences.

ban me bitch! this forum is just filled with ignorant assholes now.
I'm just trying to make you change your ways and not be.
"Watch youtube videos" yeah like the re-encoded 128kbps AAC codec audio is gonna make you hear the difference...
or do you also say that lossy formats and lossless formats are the same audio wise? that nobody could ever possibly hear above the 22.5khz?
That high frequency transients are an illusion and should be ignored?
When do you give up the "I know better and everyone else is disillusion" shtick?
Strike two... If your goal is to get banned you are on the right path to realize that. :unsure:

You are breaking rule #4 maybe others. https://groupdiy.com/threads/groupdiy-rules-read-before-posting-in-any-of-the-forums.6650/

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back