Solder on gold connectors 500 series 1073 EQ, help needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speirs22

Hi guys, I'm a relatively new DIYer and am working on a new project. I was soldering connections on a 1073 EQ when I lifted my soldering iron and a small drop fell and landed on one of the gold 500 series connectors that go into the chassis. How bad is this going to be? Any tips on fixing this or is this not the end of the world?

I have some desoldering braid that I have never had to use before, but I don't know if it's safe to use or will damage the gold connectors.

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

Also, moving forward, should I put tape over the gold connectors or is that a bad idea because of residue?

Ok first thing first it’s not the end of the world.
Before you attempt any solder removal, the solder has to be in molten state. It’s when solder is not in molten state that bad stuff happens like pulling traces.

Tape isn’t an issue can clean off residue with isopropyl, use the 99% pure stuff.

Take a photo or two let’s see what you are working with

Ok sorry for not being quick on the reply I got stuck working the last week. Phone doesn't take the best photos but here it is.

I'm assuming best case scenario is to use a solder braid to remove as much as possible?

Attachments

• IMG20240609050907.jpg
    IMG20240609050907.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG20240609050856.jpg
    IMG20240609050856.jpg
    920.4 KB · Views: 1
Would've been more of a potential issue if the splash was at the other end of the contact, but at the "root" there (where the socket's contact might not even reach), no sweat.

Back