Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you used an Arienne K47 Flat capsule, B-stock, and use a switch to switch the sides, it is possible to get a microphone with different characters (2 in 1)😀

What is the likely outcome? How is the back side likely to differ from the front side?

Is the backside of a b-stock usually fine as far as it goes, just not matching the front side quite closely enough?

What is the likely outcome? How is the back side likely to differ from the front side?

Is the backside of a b-stock usually fine as far as it goes, just not matching the front side quite closely enough?
That is why it is sold cheaper, like B-stock, because a side differs from the other considered in the reference parameters.The sound differs, more subtly or more.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-15-22-10-02-060_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-15-22-10-02-060_com.android.chrome.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 0
I apologize, on the smartphone the graphics are selected a bit confusingly
Can you please post a relevant graph with the FR of a K47F B-stock capsule?
The FR is not super different in a b-stock capsule, only the capacitance is. Well, it's different in the way that the capacitance changes the FR, but that's not huge. I'll post one from the next batch as soon as we're done with production

Here are some fun graphs:
My K87 VS the K67 it's based on at the same capacitance:
1713210956064.png
VS a random K87 for repair:
1713211028821.png
VS a K870:
1713211084315.png
My K87 at 61pf vs 52pf capacitance (level matched) Brown is 61, Black is 52:
1713211207650.png

And vs the K67 it's based on (teal, 61pf) at ~52pf:
1713211351461.png

Most people are a bit afraid to post graphs this zoomed in. Here are all of these graphs at the "industry standard" window of +-20dB:
1713211504580.png

Now that migration to ARTA is done, we are in full production. Stand by for your capsules, haha.

Last edited:
Here are some fun graphs:
My K87 VS the K67 it's based on at the same capacitance:
View attachment 127020
VS a random K87 for repair:
View attachment 127021
VS a K870:
View attachment 127022
My K87 at 61pf vs 52pf capacitance (level matched) Brown is 61, Black is 52:
View attachment 127023

And vs the K67 it's based on (teal, 61pf) at ~52pf:
View attachment 127024

Most people are a bit afraid to post graphs this zoomed in. Here are all of these graphs at the "industry standard" window of +-20dB:
View attachment 127025
Thank you very much Ari!🙏
It is extremely valuable information for all of us.

Our K47 target capsule (which has a smaller 5k peak) (red) along with a particularly bright accurate k47 (blue) and a particularly dark one (black). Not level matched.
1713211900524.png
3 flat k47s. One of them is from 2 years ago, and 2 are from Saturday:
1713211991817.png

Disclaimer: I have reason to believe that my measurements currently deviate about -1.5dB at 10k. smoothly increasing from about 2k. I will try to fix this later. Capsules may appear slightly darker than they are in an absolute sense, but of course comparisons are still accurate.

Our K47 target capsule (which has a smaller 5k peak) (red) along with a particularly bright accurate k47 (blue) and a particularly dark one (black). Not level matched.
View attachment 127026
3 flat k47s. One of them is from 2 years ago, and 2 are from Saturday:
View attachment 127028

Disclaimer: I have reason to believe that my measurements currently deviate about -1.5dB at 10k. smoothly increasing from about 2k. I will try to fix this later. Capsules may appear slightly darker than they are in an absolute sense, but of course comparisons are still accurate.
I think you managed to make the capsules even more consistent! And the measuring system more accurately.
In the previous graphs I noticed higher tolerances, that's why I suggested testing both sides of the B-stock capsules, to obtain different nuances
Looks like there will be no more B-stock capsules! 😀
You even entered the competition with Neumann!

I think you managed to make the capsules even more consistent! And the measuring system more accurately.
In the previous graphs I noticed higher tolerances, that's why I suggested testing both sides of the B-stock capsules, to obtain different nuances
Looks like there will be no more B-stock capsules! 😀
You even entered the competition with Neumann!
we use the rode method now (sympathetically resonating the membranes with a tone), so consistency is pretty high!

we use the rode method now (sympathetically resonating the membranes with a tone), so consistency is pretty high!
I wanted to mention Rode. I'm a big fan. They have a very consistent production. I have many of their microphones.
Among others, I have 3 pieces of the NT1 Kit Black model.
One new, used only as a reference for emulation in CurveEQ and two older one year, used a little in a studio.
I kept putting off doing a null test on them, but each one sounds a little different. E.g
I like one on my singing voice, another on acoustic guitar and another on voice over, DJ, radio voice. Without Eq. So they will remain stock.
The differences are very small, maybe 0.5...1dB, here and there.
I have unmodified NT2a and they sound 99% identical to me, on all playback media, solo or in the mix.
I just wanted to emphasize that the measurement method and serious QC are essential for the quality of the products.
I am happy with the exceptional results you have reached and I am convinced that it is only the beginning of great achievements.
We all thank you!✨

Latest posts

Back