Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of right now I'm not sure. I will have them made
You already provide the saddle. I am sure most of us can figure that out on our own.

I feel your pain with the latex allergy--I have a milk allergy, and it turns out cow's milk protein is commonly used in latex rubber to change the properties of the rubber. Been there and done that.

If you have a latex allergy, you should not be working with latex rubber, period.

Here are a couple of tracks.
Miktek CV4 with FlatK47 and 3U M7 --> Manley Slam Pre --> Apogee AD16

Disclaimer: This song is a cover (Stand In Your Love: Josh Baldwin). I recorded this for my own comparison only, so don't hate. If it's useful for you, enjoy. :)
Thank you, I like your voice + guitar playing and would prefer the 3U M7 capsule for this combination (and the room) as I find the Flat K47 a bit overemphasized in the lower midrange.

(y)

Just my 2 € cents

Last edited:
Thank you, I like your voice + guitar playing and would prefer the 3U M7 capsule for this combination (also the room) as I find the Flat K47 a bit overemphasized in the lower midrange.

(y)

Just my 2 € cents
Thanks Rock. The FlatK47 takes EQ soooo well! Just a slight boost in the highs REALLY makes this capsule shine. To my taste and ears, the 3U M7 is too scooped in the mids. With that said, I would probably be in line for the regular K47 from Arienne. My 3U M7 is probably going on the market soon.

I hope it's OK to post this stuff here! I am just excited because I bought one of Soliloqueen's flat k47 capsules a couple of weeks ago and finally had some time to try it out and I'm very impressed. I love it.

I'm a saxophonist & audio engineer, and the thing I've noticed about recording saxophones over the years is that the 3khz range is right where saxophones usually sound really bad. At least on my sound, and my tenor especially, I really don't like it and usually end up cutting there in a mix. But ribbon mics are also not my thing on tenor, at least not by themselves, and if I use one I usually feel like it needs a 47 style condenser mic tracked at the same time to blend with it so it's not too dark and muddy sounding in the mix.

I got a great deal on a used Bock 47 some years ago which is my usual go-to on tenor. I have this other mic I built from a Micparts kit when I first started building stuff called the T-47, it's like a large diaphragm capsule + a km84 style circuit. The kit came with a RK-47, which I guess is an Asian origin K47 style capsule. I always thought this mic sucked and was too bright for my horn.

I just put the flat Soliloqueen capsule in the T-47 and was really floored with how much the sound of the mic changed. For me it became way better and especially on my tenor sax, I would actually use this circuit and capsule combination on a recording! Love it.

For the sake of anyone interested I decided to post the 3 demo files I made for myself to compare the 3 mics and especially the RK-47 capsule vs the Soliloqueen flat k47 capsule. The recording chain is the same on all 3 mics, an AML 1073 500 series preamp into a Mytek Brooklyn ADC. Tried to level match best as possible.

Hope the demos are interesting for people interested in these capsules. The Matrix picture has nothing to do with the test I just needed a placeholder image. I will be buying some more of these capsules for other projects! Very interested to hear the K-87's.

There's no question for me that the Flat K47 works best of the three here.

Even when using exceptional condensers (vintage U47s, U67s, etc) a common complaint from saxophonists is that it's too bright or presence-focused.

I bet they wouldn't say that about this capsule...

I agree with rock. the way the flat k47 responds to mid low and low end pressure means you really don't want to use it in any sort of space that has buildup there. it's a very room sensitive capsule.
Now I'm especially curious to hear this in a 47FET w/ kick, e-bass, upright bass...

Now I'm especially curious to hear this in a 47FET w/ kick, e-bass, upright bass...
I am planning to try that with mine. I don’t record much vocals, mainly drums and instruments. I have a Heiserman 47fet which to my ears sounds amazing although it is very bright. I am going to build 2x FET47’s next month and plan to try this Soliloqueen flat 47 capsule, an Rk-47 capsule, and hopefully eventually a Soliloqueen regular k47 in it when those are available. I also will try M7. I will post demos here when they are done. I expect it to sound best with a regular k47 capsule. Not sure which one to go for at the moment until Soli’s is available

One of my favorite positions for a 47fet is center kit on a drumset. Peaking over the bass drum pointed at the ground right next to the snare. Captures an amazing kit picture and you can add lows and compress to taste and blend in under the kit sound. Brings weight and heft to the overheads. My H47FET usually ends up on outside kick so it will be nice to have some extras in the mix now.

There is a such thing as being too sensitive to low frequencies. I've heard the flat k47 bottom out from the change in air pressure opening the booth door. it trends towards omni in the bass and extends very low. the capsule is basically a barometer below 50hz. I would be curious to hear it, but it might be a bit much

Here are a couple of tracks.
Miktek CV4 with FlatK47 and 3U M7 --> Manley Slam Pre --> Apogee AD16

Disclaimer: This song is a cover (Stand In Your Love: Josh Baldwin). I recorded this for my own comparison only, so don't hate. If it's useful for you, enjoy. :)

https://on.soundcloud.com/NMfJq
https://on.soundcloud.com/4YLfs
For me, the thing that really caught my attention, as someone who is driven crazy by sibilance issues, is the way--especially in the 2nd half when the vocal is in a higher register--that the sibilance region feels very cleanly and naturally captured with the flat 47. By comparison, it feels to me like the 3U M7 not only emphasizes the sibilance region a bit, but adds a bit of its own sort of noisy texture to it--it almost brings out a faint whistle aspect. I have 2 mics with Thiersch PVC M7s and I do not get a similar impression of the sibilance region when using those capsules. But it's also, imo, extremely difficult to conduct a fair test and, although I think there probably is something to what I say about the 2 M7 flavors (3U and Thiersch), comparing my Thiersch M7 experience to the 3U recording referenced above is around 1,000 miles from any kind of calibrated test.

Lastly, I have to say I like the (maybe) 700 Hz on down region in the 3U M7 fairly well, although it might be 1 or 1.5 dB 'big' at 200 for my taste: this is something I hear with many mics btw. And I am very interested in soliloqueen's more accurate 47--will almost certainly be buying one when they become available.

Last edited:
There is a such thing as being too sensitive to low frequencies.
my comment was meant to be a bit more agnostic than perhaps taken. but i'm still interested enough to build one to see how it works out on said sources. so, given the tendency for this capsule to be more omni in lows, would that also imply proximity effect is not as pronounced?

more often than not i use multiple mics on a source, e.g., multiple mics on a cabinet or mic'ing both beater and resonant heads. i'm usually looking for extended lows and sustain / body on resonant head as opposed to hyped attack around 4k. attack / upper mids is usually not a problem to capture, not as easy to get deepest lows and sustain. with this in mind, i wonder how flat 47 as it's come to be known vs. 'regular' 47 will perform.

I too have a Flat 47 in a CV4 and like it a lot. To my ears, it sounds very similar to a Beesneez K7 capsule. I'm really looking forward to the K47 clone, when it becomes available. I'm thinking of trying the Flat47/CV4 as a mono overhead or an outside kick mic on my next drum session. Pretty incredible sounding capsule, especially for the price. It holds up well against the BN K7 and a Thiersch M7 Red. That's impressive.

There is a such thing as being too sensitive to low frequencies. I've heard the flat k47 bottom out from the change in air pressure opening the booth door. it trends towards omni in the bass and extends very low. the capsule is basically a barometer below 50hz. I would be curious to hear it, but it might be a bit much
This is partIy why I am hoping combining it with a tiny, hipassing beyer output transformer in a FET847 buiId wiII baIance out in a great way.... :)

Back