SOLVED: Built Two Bo Hansen DIs- both distort very quickly

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a poorly biased voltage amplifier if you switch the two transistors by accident, as the OP has. If they're in the correct positions, it's all golden.
Exactly! Money on problem solved. I think I worded my answer poorly. I should have said "Switching the transistors, as you seemed to have done by accident, has resulted . . .

Polarity counts!

Did you fix it yet?
unfortunately I have no local supply shop so I have to order online. It might take up to a week, but it seems you guys solved the issue. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like!
I'm very impressed by the gain in high frequency clarity when audio passes through Lundahl Transformers. It does something very pleasant sounding and somehow also reduces digital harshness that is mostly in the upper mid range, so when you limit in the DAW the end result is alot less harsh on the ears. Almost magic!

Just take the transistors out and put them in the correct locations.
I have only transistors of the same types (B557)- I did not order B550 or B560 types. I am in europe and I couldnt use the preconfigured mouser basket since many parts were backordered.

Exchanged the transistors with the correct ones and now it works flawlessly! Only need to find a fitting case for a stereo unit cause I miscalculated the width haha. Thanks everyone for the trouble shooting. It sounds amazing! Even better than the RNDI I tried out to be honest.

Back