• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Soundcraft LM1 location sound mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluxivity

8 channel Soundcraft LM1 location sound mixer - Handmade in England.
The LM1 works with external power or internal batteries and is designed to meet the demands of location sound recording for the film and broadcast industry. It offers performance and features to satisfy the most exacting cart-based requirements.

sound_face.jpg

Robust, and I mean robust, construction combined with good size and weight allow the LM1 to be easily transported on a sound cart to the most remote location, where high gain, low noise and long battery life guarantee the best results under the worst conditions. TL072 amps. Penny and Giles faders. VU meters. This thing is a tank and easily outperforms most mixers in its class. an amazing upgrade to the smaller portable mixers (mackie, newer chinese soundcrafts behringer etc.)

sound_side.jpg

This one has some issues. It'll need to be cleaned, there's board tape residue on the bottom of the faces, its missing some slider caps. Overall it works well but it could use a linear type power supply (there's a schematic for them in the manual). I made a switch-mode +24VDC power supply and the channels work fine on that but the phantom power runs a little hot, around +53. I checked it with a mic and it works fine and tames down to around +48 but I'm just giving full disclosure of what I know here. Internal settings control T-power Phantom etc. maybe those need attention. I just guess that is the ticket, if you want a great board that could use a little attention and could benefit from a bit of cleaning up this could be a great deal for you. It needs to be cleaned up but its not noisy and it sounds great.

heres the link to the manual at Soundcraft
Soundcraft - [Downloads]

rear1.jpg

scraft_in.jpg

As you can see the circuit board has room for input transformers, the master module also has room for output transformers, this is clarified in the manual. The back panel has a slot for a DB25 which is used to configure the mixer with direct outs. I'm still figuring this modification out as its NOT in the manual. Overall this is a great little board.

$350

Thanks
Paul

What is the make and model of the rotary switch used for gain setting? I have seen these before and I am sure I know the name but I just cannot remember who makes them. I see the switch has ITT on the back but I am pretty sure that's not what they are commonly known as.

Cheers

Ian

Myles, yr inbox is full:

Looks like it'd be about $175 shipped to australia. That's figuring it at around 30 lbs after its double boxed. If it turned out to be cheaper I would refund. You and I have done solid business before. "Up with People"

I'll take it apart and check the gain switch tomorrow.
P

Back