Soundskulptor STS stereo tape simulator

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeffrey, you have to find the range you'll be working with the most. Meassure the pot and make that the resistance of your stepped switch. With stepped switches it's most of the time not good to just use the same resistance as the pot you're replacing....

If you still want a pot you might want to try the Alps blue velvet. These are not really expensive and have an awesome feel to them.
They are considered high quality AFAIK...

radiance said:
Jeffrey, you have to find the range you'll be working with the most. Meassure the pot and make that the resistance of your stepped switch. With stepped switches it's most of the time not good to just use the same resistance as the pot you're replacing....

If you still want a pot you might want to try the Alps blue velvet. These are not really expensive and have an awesome feel to them.
They are considered high quality AFAIK...

Yeah, i know, i did that actually because the stepped att i had was something like 2k (was an experimental thing) and the pot is 10k and i added a start and end resistor extra to get something like 10k. The range was pretty decent that way but still it felt better with a pot because the input is really picky to me.

On second thought, maybe the range was a bit to small and precise.. I will tray later on with a better and more calculated att but soldering 2x 24 resistors is not really my hobby because it's a bit boring and time consuming.

But anyway.. will check for the alps blue velvet, sounds good!

@tubefreak: ik zal van de week ff soundsamples maken en die hier posten als ik de tijd heb. :)

I would also try these Alps pots.
The gain pot is linear so the matching error for a dual pot should be limited.

awesome build there dagoose.

i'm contemplating hard on getting myself into the whole DIY world again.

I am considering getting one and I am from overseas, so I should not have to pay VAT. Does the VAT get removed when you go thru the checkout process. All I get is the VAT added?

How much is the shipping on these to Australia?

How do these compare with other simulators? Any more feedback on these units yet?

Anyone compared these to other tape simulators like the Neve one and several others. I am contemplating this unit as well.

It looks like the sts is not getting a lot of interest.
I have been using it for some time now and really like it. It does not work all the time but for some music it is a really nice box and adds that bit of extra and gives it a nice feel. I think it works best on acoustical music but it is also nice on detroit like techno.

If at all possible, please post a some good sound examples. The stuff on the website never got updated. Doesn't sound like settings you would use on real mixes but too obviously a demo.

Kingston said:
If at all possible, please post a some good sound examples. The stuff on the website never got updated. Doesn't sound like settings you would use on real mixes but too obviously a demo.

Very much agreed. I would like to hear if you can get a subtle effect that stacks across say 8+ tracks. Not a distortion pedal...

Forgot to mention:

I made a new PSU from the parts of the onboard PSU and placed as far as I could from the main PCB (but still inside the case) and now the hum is gone.
You can try it for yourself but I think off-board PSU is the way to go for this build.

Pieter

Latest posts

Back