source for plastic sleeve / bushing for diaphragm leads to pass through top plate of mic body?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klem

the holes are ~2mm in diam, and whenever the terminated capsule lead touches metal, noise rears its ugly head. at least it's interesting noise though. i still need to do some better cleaning with isopropyl, but seems like this is a no-brainer to add as well, if I can find it.
anybody got some spares, or suggestions on where to source them? Or maybe just some silicone filling the hole, then drilling a hole to pass the lead through it down to the PCB?

i also wonder about adding a layer of heat shrink to capsule lead to help better insulate, but what if that makes it more microphonic to the mechanical movements? I don't relish trying to replace a lead like that, at least not on the fancy capsule i have. plastic bushing is far less of a risk...

Attachments

• IMG-0658.jpg
    IMG-0658.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Since I've already soldered the connection for this FET47, sounds like RTV silicone is the way to go. Still, I'll grab some shoulder washers for future builds. Thanks all for the helpful advice!

For a belt and suspenders kind of guy, what do you think about adding a layer of 'very flexible' heat shrink to capsule leads?

the rtv silicone for electronics not the silicone for sealing windows

Just to emphasize what shabtek pointed out, when you use silicone sealant that is made for general household use, you can smell the acetic acid released as it cures. Acid fumes wafting through your new microphone is not what you want.

Almost by definition, heat shrink is not flexible. :)
Maybe it's semantics, and I'm not here to quibble, but there are multiple manufacturers that define/describe their product as "very flexible" (literally in the title of attached). Here it is at DK if attached pdf doesn't load. IME, it has indeed stayed very flexible once shrunk.

Attachments

• Heat Shrink Tubing SFTW 203 - Data Sheet - 78-9237-1400-6-A (1).pdf
    53.4 KB · Views: 1
Ha, I definitely have quantities of some things that will probably outlast me as well. It's hard not to become a packrat with this hobby/addiction.

Latest posts

Back