SSL 4000 E/G Group Faders Problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nycstudio1

Hi there,

I own a SSL 4000 E/G console with VCA faders. I bought the console about three years ago and although everything works, there's one problem that I haven't been able to figure out since the day I bought this console.

None of the 40 vca faders will assign to any of the 8  groups. The computer and tr are working fine and every channel works fine. Unfortunately I cannot find anywhere in the books where to look for this problem.

I even brought a couple of techs to check it out but so far no luck.

I appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thanks.

nycstudio1 said:
None of the 40 vca faders will send signal to any of the 8  groups. The computer and tr are working fine and every channel works fine. Unfortunately I cannot find anywhere in the books where to look for this problem.

Hey

May be a terminology issue, but, the 8 vca groups never see signal.
The computer needs to be on or all the VCA's on the console need to be jumpered with ribbon cables underside the patchbay. But if the computer wasn't running, none of the faders (including the vca's on each module) would run so it would be pretty easy to find out.

Each module VCA fader that is set to a number (using the small thumb dial) will get that channel linked to a vca number. If you set, say, channels 1-8 to VCA 1, the first VCA will actually control the level of the entire group. If this fader is down, none of the channels will send signal to the large routing matrix (record status) or mix buss (mix status).

If your desk has fader to meters (on the center section, above the quad meter source selection) press it. It will illustrate what I mean better.

If you want to group stuff on these babies, you need to use an extra module. Simply select the busses you want to go to (in record mode) or float the channels you want to send to the groups (in mix mode) and send them to the spare modules using the routing matrix on the top of the module. On the spare module, press subgroup on the input section.

There's much more to float than this. But I'm not sure I understood your question :)

Thanks for your reply.

The computer is fine and running. If I set channels 1-8 to VCA 1 (or any other VCA group), nothing happens. This function is completely inactive.  Of course all faders are up. I used this function for nearly 15 years on different SSL consoles but can't get it to work on this one.

Back