SSL 4000 EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, you can mount anything qualitative (the tl072s are fine, but without a doubt with the NEs it will be better, more headroom), the LM833N (more punch on the bass), LM1458 (more hifi), OPA 2134 PA are also fine if you want go to Burr Brown. They're all great chips, among the dual op-amps. I think you could also try something from THAT, but I don't know the models.

Have fun and congratulations for the realization .. I have it in the pipeline too but I still can't find the time.
Calculate that both Neve and SSL in their history have mostly used NE5532, an exceptional chip above all if compared to the price... it undoubtedly contributed to forming that sound. On professional equipment you will find it in abundance but it always depends on the circuit point. They are also fitted to my Studer A807 (it's full of them).
On cheaper consoles you are more likely to find the TL072.

But I repeat: it always depends on the circuit point.. single NE5534 even better.

I am preparing to pull the trigger on my Mouser shopping cart for this project but I was wondering, would it be a good idea to add a Master output pot or entire circuit?

Hi, can anyone measure the resistance between the pins of that1246 chip? Unfortunately, I do not have an oscilloscope to accurately check these chips, all I have at hand is a multimeter. I ordered 1246 and 1646 from China and 1646 looks genuine, but 1246 was available only in sop format and I did not find a single photo of this chip on the Internet to determine its authenticity at least visually. I would be happy to order these chips from trusted suppliers, but all of them have delivery times of 7-10 weeks, because i live in Russia(

Hi!

I have a question regarding the SSL eq potentiometers.

If for whatever reason i can't find the 25k linear potentiometers for the boost/cut sections, and say i find a 50k linear, I suppose i have to adjust the value of the two surrounding 1K0 resistors accordingly...¿Right? maybe 2k?. To maintain the ratio values.

In the original design, they used center tapped pots for gain. What is the purpose of the 4k7 resistor to ground in the boost/cut sections?

Thank you for your advise!

Jay x

Hi, the bigger 2HE enclosure is a cheap "empty Adam Hall 2U" case. Can be bought from Musicstore Koeln or from Amazon for about 60 euros. It fits exactly 4x 4000EQ Pcbs. You can easily order my frontpanel from Franks frontpanels.de. Or you can also have my .fpd file for sure. If you want to modify it
or what else....greetz
Hello, I really like 2u with 4units.
Do you think it would be possible to have your FDP file please.
I plan to make one and when I saw yours, I said to myself yes, that's it🙂.
What pots did you use please.
Thanks

Hi,
About the Pots:

It is hard to find the "center detent" Gain potentiometers. I bought mine over Aliex. I checked my purchase but the shop there does not exist anymore. You need "linear" B20K center, B22K center or B25K center detent pots. Mouser has
https://mou.sr/3KXQeLu
korean Alpha Pots with center detent. Best pots from feeling in my opinion. They should work.

The dual C47K (or C50K) reversed log Pots can be found on Aliex,:

€ 7,24 10%OFF | 5pcs/lot 148 doppel potentiometer C50K griff länge 15MM 20MM blume
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMaExOg

For the dual A10K logarithmic Pots I have actually not source but I am sure they can also be found on Mouser, Aliex or Taydea electronics, ebay
but also check your knobs... Knurled shaft, D shaft, 6mm, 6.4mm ....

Best regards Herbert

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if it was still possible to get some boards for this and the other ssl projects?

Latest posts

Back