SSL 4000 G series computer problem "Keyboard Error"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

la-2a

SSL 4000 G Computer Keyboard error

We´ve got a problem with our SSL 4000 G series computer which used to work without any problems since we´ve bought the desk.

When we hit the "execute" key it writes "G", hitting the "D" key 5 times results in "DD55D", hitting "S" writes "F" and so on. After hitting several keys in a row it shows the message "keyboard error". We tried it with 3 different keyboards and keyboard cables. We also replaced all ICs on the keyboard interface card in the computer cage, still no luck. Apart from the keyboard error the computer seems to work as usual.

We would be greatful for any suggestions!

sounds like it's executing a macro.

off topic: are you interested in selling any of your old ssl keyboards? I'm in the market for one.

Thank you guys, but as i wrote we tried it with 3 different keyboards and keyboard cables.
The problem  is the same. I guess the problem is a bit more complex.

@ dustbro. :) I don't think so..... we will sure be happy one day having some spare

When you mention the cable, do you mean the one between the console & the computer, or the one in between the keyboard and the console connector panel? The console connectors can get a bent or broken pin in them...
There is also one between the computer connector panel & the computer card...
The fact remains that the keyboard generated the digital output, it is difficult to see how it is not the source. Are you able to confirm the keyboards are working correctly by trying them on another console?

silly question but have you tried a new program disk?  Thats always the first thing to try.  I like to keep a few customized disks in wait and then date/letter them when they go into service.  L follows K and gets dated when it goes into service.  That way I can "phone it in" when the computer gets wiggy at 2AM. 
Mike

Hi there, we checked all the cable connections (plug & unplug) between the Keyboard and Console, the Console to Computer and between the Computer and the Board. So if you guys think it is a bad contact I will go on with measuring 1:1 connections and use some Gold Contact Spray but I don´t really think that this will help....I will give it a try.
@sodderboy this is a good idea. Will do that tomorrow. ;)

@nielsk  I don´t believe that all  3 Keyboards broke down the same day

@sodderboy ......booting with an different disk makes no difference. the bug is still there...
thank you anyway.

Back