SSL 4000E refurb

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last time I worked on a 4000 (actually it was the somewhat similar 6K) was in 2015 and the owner had the factory extender set. IIRC, all you will need is a selection of female edge connectors to concoct a test jig. Refresh my memory with some photos....

Bri

So I went ahead and got a 4000e from reverb that was in need of repair. I have it in storage now but would start to refurbish and check all the channel strips. I have 24g 6e and 2 stereo. Is it possible to troubleshoot them without using the desk. Maybe with something like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1455160647...r53nnr6Sve&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Hello Jdm5149,

Normally you can't fix channels without the desk.

However there was a solution designed by SSL to " replace " the desk : SSL sold a Test Unit box with connectors to repair channels on the bench.
But it was pretty rare to meet one...

I had a client who had this tool but with my experience it was faster to fix the channels with the desk, anyway.

On the Ebay ad, the bottom pic shows a Channel Extender Board.
The six others on top are for repairing of the Central Section cards.
However it is not a complete set.... it also needs the flat cables and connectors to plug into the Motherboard of the Central Section.
Price asked for that uncomplete set is crazy expensive !

Good luck with your 4000 repair.

Best,
Guy

Starting cleaning fader. Windex. Any suggestions for fader. Deoxit? Also wanna try and sell the power supply and computer. I think the computer had a problem. Power supply seemed to have proper voltages. Any idea what it’s worth ??
IMG_6329.jpegIMG_6331.jpegIMG_6330.jpeg

The knobs? I was asking about the fader itself just compressed air maybe ? I use wonder just for the grime. Is there a reason for the distilled water

So far I just cleaned the cover moving grime. I soaked the knobs in soap and water and will let dry overnight. The shaft I guess was what I was referring to

Hey there I basically wiped dow cover. Still haven’t opened them up they cleaned up like new. Sucks I have mainframe in storage. No power in storage units. Will have to wait til I move. When channels are racked can they be pulled from the enclosure and different channels be installed. I was thinking that might be a way to test

I was about to post my video on it, but there it is. People will always say not to use isopropyl, I've used it a thousand times without issue, but if they are not super filthy and you want to be cautious, distilled water will be fine.

As per your question about having a racked one for testing, you will get a basic signal flow for however the rack is setup for, but you will probably not have any of the logic switching tested, or any of the groups, inserts, monitor returns, ect. It is unlikely that you will have facilities to test anything but the shortest signal path. But that is better than nothing.

Yes. Just itching to get into it. I think it’s all mostly years of no maintenance. Some switch’s and buttons are off or missing. The owner said the automation didn’t work but I was thinking of the tangerine option. The power supply was working and the voltages were correct. One channel was pulled because of a squealing sound they said. I guess I’ll just stay with dusting things off and cleaning up the channels as much as I can. I put the power supply and computer up for sale. Gonna go with the tangerine and Malcom toft options. K. As I get into it more I’ll post some more pics of the main frame and such.

Attachments

• IMG_6333.jpeg
    IMG_6333.jpeg
    2.2 MB
  • IMG_6332.jpeg
    IMG_6332.jpeg
    2.7 MB
Sorry for the bad pic. Also I think they might be all e series eqs. Seller listed it as 24g 6e 2 stereo. One bucket empty. They could be all e. Another good thing is they had all the manuals. K. I’ll take some pics tomorrow and post. Night

Yes. Just itching to get into it. I think it’s all mostly years of no maintenance. Some switch’s and buttons are off or missing. The owner said the automation didn’t work but I was thinking of the tangerine option. The power supply was working and the voltages were correct. One channel was pulled because of a squealing sound they said. I guess I’ll just stay with dusting things off and cleaning up the channels as much as I can. I put the power supply and computer up for sale. Gonna go with the tangerine and Malcom toft options. K. As I get into it more I’ll post some more pics of the main frame and such.
I prefer the atomic power supplies.
Automation doesn’t work? So they did a fader bypass so both large and small faders work?

Other notes in my mind, does the center section actually lock when you lift it up?
That can be dangerous if you are not careful.

As said earlier; using a 'racked' channel as a test bed will only check the bare minimum of the audio path and unless the supply has ALL the necessary rails quite a lt won't work or at least not correctly. P+G had a comprehensive regime for cleaning their faders and essentially no 'products' except distilled water and a lint free cloth but the stainless bars need a slight hint of 'oil'. The tracks should have a mist of PTFE spray lubricant before polishing with a clean cloth;
Thos switches WILL melt if you use and old 'switchcleaner' but Chemsearch 'Swish' or Electrolube 10AX was recommended by the Neve company.
I can vouch for some cleaners welding the plastic as I was asked to test some in 1986 and although the contacts were clean the switch was welded solid!
Checking the channels when the desk is complete is infinitely quicker and more rthorough than on a 'test jig'. I went on a SSL training course on these desks in 1998 and it was interesting. Those power supplies are fun to work on if they are faulty.

Back