ssl capacitor question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem

hi

I just started my first diy project, the ssl compressor.

I really want to get the best out of the unit so I have a question:

I've heard that it is the best, if there are no electrolytic caps in signal chain. at the ssl board there are a lot of 22µ caps around the input and output section.

should I use special audio caps like the black gate electrolytics ??

any other suggestions ??

thanks
mike

you could be opening a pandoras box here. My 2cents worth is to use Nitai Bipolars. Bipolars are technically the highest performing electrolytic available. The Nitai's are available from Farnell and aren't very expensive.
Side benefits are that being bipolar it doesn't matter which way round you put them it and they are a nice yellow colour!

studies have shown(mine and others.. Gyraf where are you?) that other than the input/output couplers that as long as they aren't seriously cheap or burnt up you will not notice much difference from one or the other. I did notice a SMALL difference between the polyester couplers and the polypros that i ended up using. I also used larger value 'lytic couplers too, but didn't notice much difference in bass.

[quote author="Svart"]Gyraf where are you?[/quote]
Probably on holiday - were at the peak of the Danish holiday season...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="mcs"][quote author="Svart"]Gyraf where are you?[/quote]
Probably on holiday - were at the peak of the Danish holiday season...
[/quote]

..Exactly..!

Went to Amsterdam for the week with my girlfriend Christina. Very nice city indeed! Great beer!

Mike,

Don't worry about the possible problems with the electrolytics. Remember that just about any desk prior to the SSL9000 were stuffed full of these. Buy a decent grade types, and you'll be happy with them. If you like, you can always experiment with mounting expensive and esoteric types later.

Jakob E.

Bipolar electrolytics is not the highest quality cap, I dunno where you got that from squib. There's a technical advantage of using bipolars when they're not biased yes, but that doesn't make the actual bipolar cap 'the highest technical quality'. I never use bipolars. Modern caps, like the Panasonic or the ELNA Starget (which I use exclusively) don't really care. Nor do graphites/BLack Gates, which is a really high quality cap, allthough technically not an electrolytic, even though they look like one.

And all electrolytics are inferior to polypropylene and oil caps.

Svart, just what studies are you refering to? It's quite opposite my experience. Any cap in the signalpath is critical.

Now, closing Pandoras box again mikem, I'd say use those low ESR Panasonics that's available from any decent vendor. They're very good, cheap, reliable (_always_ go for 105degree types :idea: ) and perform better than all that cheap shit you'll see in million dollar mixers :wink:

Or you could get some of the big ol' red Wimas. They're _not_ esoteric, not expensive, not audiophoolish and do not fit PCB. Unfortunally the max value is 10yF I think. But they do sound better than any electrolytic. In my experience that is :razz:

Ain't DIY fun? :grin:

Latest posts

Back