K&H UE-100 power section capacitors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rekkoned

Hi everyone! I'm back to ask more UE100 questions, as my quest to get my stereo pair matched and fully working continues. After a lot of prodding around I've found a capacitor in the power section (baustein N, in the circuit diagrams) that seem to be burst. I've thus decided to re-cap just this section of the 16uf caps (CN8-21, I think?), but they are marked as 150/165V, which as a newbie to vintage electronics is a bit confusing. Are these dual voltage caps or can I just switch them out with 160v caps and be fine? I've also considered using higher power rating caps from f&t or tube amp doctor, but i think they are just a little too big for this section of the EQ, ads they have to be flush with the bottom of the case. Would be super grateful for any insight! Attached are the pictures of the capacitors in question and the burst one.
Cheers.
- Honza

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2608.jpg
    IMG_2608.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2609.jpg
    IMG_2609.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
Safest way is to measure the voltages or use higher voltages, they are normal caps 165 volt. Could be that the actual voltage is much lower. Don't forget it was designed for 220 volt now we have 240v. If you drop the voltage to lets say 30 volts to measure around the polarity can swap. Replace them all, if one is bad the others are on there way or are just the same.Take a lot of foto's before desoldering caps. Later you will thank me because a lot of components are well hidden if all is assembled. I just recapped one. Reichelt sells the perfect replacements for the chassis mount big caps. For the others use vishay, these are the best on the market. Reichelt is your friend.

Safest way is to measure the voltages or use higher voltages, they are normal caps 165 volt. Could be that the actual voltage is much lower. Don't forget it was designed for 220 volt now we have 240v. If you drop the voltage to lets say 30 volts to measure around the polarity can swap. Replace them all, if one is bad the others are on there way or are just the same.Take a lot of foto's before desoldering caps. Later you will thank me because a lot of components are well hidden if all is assembled. I just recapped one. Reichelt sells the perfect replacements for the chassis mount big caps. For the others use vishay, these are the best on the market. Reichelt is your friend.
Awesome, thank you so much for the sage advice!

Latest posts

Back