SSL Finished!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nacho459

Ready to rack. Here's some pix. Sorry they're blurry, I hate digital cameras, but it makes this easier.

I'm soon gonna take pictures of all my DIY gear in a studio, with my SLR camera, on slide film. Untill then this is what I got!

www.fission-fusion.com/SSLfnl1.jpg
www.fission-fusion.com/SSLfnl2.jpg
www.fission-fusion.com/SSLfnl3.jpg

don't listen to this man. He's like a tea dealer standin on the corner with cars doin the driveup action.

He started talking about this stuff, PG Tips, and I tell you, it's like crack. I'm hooked. No turning back.

Oh, and nice box, by the way :thumb:

:green:

ju

...Now I know why they call it "Constant Comment"!!! :green:

-Okay, back on-topic... take it off...take it *ALL* off!!!

-We want to inspect the insides! :thumb: :thumb:

BTW, I hope everone realises that Nacho is our 500th :green: member!!!

Keith

Way to go nacho.
Highland Park is in the house.
BTW, if SSL demands you get better tea, you really must do it.
That pub on raymond street has PGtips and Heinz beans too (great for taking a bath in)

KM

:shock:

excellent, nacho!!

May i ask you where you got the rack box?
..and..
how you did the front panel graphics?

:thumb:

good work. congrats. what´s the meter and switches ?

can´t await the rest of your excellent diy work.

[quote author="Sleeper"]That pub on raymond street has PGtips and Heinz beans too (great for taking a bath in)

KM[/quote]

Lucky Baldwin's? I could go for some fish-n-chips and a pint of Boddingtons right about now. As for the tea, I just needed something to prop the SSL up so it wouldn?t look like I built it into my Sears Roebuck oven.

As for the parts:

The box is a crappy Paia box ($19) with a Middle Atlantic flanged panel ($6) on the front. It was cheep but I wouldn?t do it again.

The meter is a Yokogawa from IMS www.metersales.com

The nomenclature are water decals I made on my printer with SuperCal Decal Paper
http://www.supercaldecals.com/

>The box is a crappy Paia box ($19) with a Middle Atlantic flanged panel ($6) on the front. It was cheep but I wouldn?t do it again.

Care to share why? $25 for a 1u rack is pretty cheap.

where did you get that rack? I'm getting front panels made so i am not concerned with that. these are just for more GSSLs so it doesn't have to be bulletproof...

(edit: found them. why are they crappy? just flimsy?)

The chassis are thin, and they are only made to go around Paia gear, which has all the inputs and outputs on the front. Typically a good chassis will have a front back and side?s perimeter all connected together with a detachable top and bottom piece. This way you can work on the PCB without taking it out of the chassis. The Paia chassis has 2 parts, the top and bottom, and they connect in the middle. So, if you want to put connectors on the back you have to punch through the middle of the seam where the two pieces meet. There is also no real flange to connect the front panel to, that's why I had to get a flanged front panel to connect to. Another thing is that the chassis is exactly 1 space tall, so any screws that you install to hold down the PCB or X-Frmer stick out, so when you rack the thing you have to put it with gear that has a recessed chassis can accommodate the larger size.
Here are sketches of what I mean.

paia.jpg

Latest posts

Back