SSL pix

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Michael Krusch"]

Why is this compressor so famous? Some compressor (LA-2A) gave me that 'wow' feeling, but not this one. :?[/quote]

put it on the drumbus, ratio 2:1, attck 1 or 3ms, rel 0.3 sec, 3-5 db compression ------------> pure sex

[quote author="JayDee"].....
Steffen, may you try UV or orange backlight for your next project. :green:[/quote]

I´d like to...but those meters have the green filterfoil already build in....

green meters forever :green: !

steff

from Soundguy Dave:
It would be really cool to someday build a version with all discrete input and output amplifiers, keep the sidechain the same, use transformers on the in and out, I think then you can get some really exciting aggressive color out of it, that would be a pretty worthy project to undertake, I wish I was smart enough to figure out how...

I guess it's about time for a 'Coat Of Niceness'-circuit - I mean some kind of universal shell around actual processing functions that adds added goodies.

It can also make judgement of units more objective I think - you're no longer rating say an EQ as superb while all is at zero but it has a smoking output stage.

And would be more economical as well - less redundant stages of discrete I/O & iron (to name just some implementations) around that don't join the party if you've picked compressor type #1 i.s.o. #2 that day - they might dress up nicely (not sure if there's pun intended... :wink: ) another function like an EQ.

Of course you want to have a few different coats around.

This all just an idea; it's in fact about making gear (even) more modular.
(Something like it was actually already discussed at the old place: the separate 10k:10k TX, just to try to add 'something'.)

If modules are close together the connections between the 'coat' & the 'processing-core' won't require much (or no) additional circuitry I think.

Bye,

Peter

Its a good idea but I would be suprised if you could take the control of the ssl and sub in any 'ol control circuit in there. Its a good idea I certainly dont know enough about this stuff to contribute anything beyond that...

Were there to be another revision of the gyraf ssl boards, I think a fine step (however a complete redesign) would be to add the following:

-power supply with 317s for variable voltage output.
-discrete audio path with "standard" pin footing for user choice of common gain blocks.
-space for input transformers on board
-pads for mounting output transformers off board

For my two cents, the most important improvement you could make to any project would be getting the chips out of the audio path. I would bet that the very smoothing quality that the ssl compressor has is very much a result of the opamps selected for audio, by making this change to a discrete audio path, you'd really be building a very different, likely more aggressive sounding box. With those improvements, youd be able to vary the power supply, so you could chose whatever opamp you wanted to use. You could chose a variety of input transformers and output transformers, so with a revision, you could make a box where 10 people could build it and wind up with 10 different sounding boxes, all of which whill probably sound different than the current gyraf design. I think it would be worthwhile to do but I suspect its a total redesign. Shame Im the electronics 'tard, or I would design the thing myself for everyone, all I have is a war plan, no army...

Is this of interest to anyone else?

This is probably a pretty good format to follow for all of our group projects in the future if you think about it. Take a look at the boards joe did for the JLM99 pre, you could build just about anything on those boards. By incorporating a variable supply and the gain block footprint, you more or less open up any project from one particular thing to several options which of course will appeal to a wider group of people, etc.

I would definitely use the ssl quad more if it had a discrete audio path, everything else in my studio is discrete and that thing tends to stick out like a sore thumb in a mix, which is both really good and not so good all depending.

dave

from Dave:
Its a good idea but I would be suprised if you could take the control of the ssl and sub in any 'ol control circuit in there. Its a good idea I certainly dont know enough about this stuff to contribute anything beyond that...

I may understand the above incorrectly, but no, I wasn't thinking that modular. But more like: input stage / compressing function (incl. sidechain) / output stage.

Bye,

Peter

Back