SSL question.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.hall

i'm a newbie here....

of those who have built the SSL clone, have any of you compared it to an original SSL buss comp, or even an Alan Smart C1 or C2?

if so, what are your thoughts.

J-

welcome to the lab...

Mine is waaaay smoother than a C1 that I compared it to but definitely does not have the mojo of the 384 that I am used to using that was removed from a console, not a rack mount version. I havent heard any ssl style thing that has that mojo though, so I wouldnt look at that as a negative criticism. When I say that the gssl that I built is fully awesome, Im saying its like, FULLY awesome for when you want that sound. %100 awesome.

Knowing your background and tastes, you need to build one of these right away. I guarantee you will be stupified when you listen to it. Since I built mine, I have not done a single mix without it and you know whats in my collection...

dave

Hi Hall,

Welcome to "The Lab"!

The SSL-Clone's behaviour is pretty close to the bus compressor in our SSL4044E, that it was dug out from.

And it's an easy build too.

Jakob E.

@ jakob:

In that case I have 2 questions..

1.)
what's the real amount of threshold of the SSL comp ??
-15 > +15 ...or... -20 > +20 ??

2.)

in another thread somebody measured the real ratio values and they were quite different

are the ratio settings exactly modelled after the SSL comp, so that the clone behaves like the real comp, or did you made some minor changes to adapt the circuit that maybe caused the differences ??

thanks,
matthias

Hi Matthias,

If you look at the schematics - the originals and mine - you will see, that threshold and ratio control circuits are the same - including component values.

The small inacuracies in ratio due to use of different VCA's in the sidechain is described in detail by Keith (SSL-Tech) in another post.

Jakob E.

Threshold has no real meaning when the bus-compressor is an integral part of the system. It only refers to the internal signal levels in the board. The ranges I have chosen for the clone is because of easier use in different situations and with different gear.

You can change the range of both threshold and makeup gain by simply altering the associated series resistors from the centre tap of the pots. All these does is add in a DC voltage to either VCA or sidechain control voltage.

Jakob E.

[quote author="soundguy"]
Knowing your background and tastes, you need to build one of these right away. I guarantee you will be stupified when you listen to it. Since I built mine, I have not done a single mix without it and you know whats in my collection...

dave[/quote]

awesome......

haven't talked to you in a while.....sorry bout that, the mix room is built and i'm moved in....it sounds AMAZING, and now i'm back in the making my tools better mode.

anyway, how much did you spend on parts?
how much time did you spend building it?

and did you do the side chain mod or any other changes to the design as it is now?

good to hear from you dave.

Hey, soundguy dave...what did you use for VCA's? I think if you want that 384 magic, you'd need to suff a pair of 202C's into the circuit. That would get you most of the way there. Other than that, making the coupling cap into the sidechain smaller will help approximate the 384 a bit better. The only other differences would be the way in which the stereo field is handled in the SSL versus the gssl.

Cheers,

Kris

hey kris-

I used 2151's if I remember right, I built it a while ago. While it doesnt have the mojo of the 384 that I have used in the past, Im actually pretty happy with it as is and havent really been inspired to mod it at all. Ive been using it for vocal subgroups and I really like how it works there. I wouldnt use an old 384 in that situation, too muddy and spongy for me... I think if I were to do anything, I would build another from scratch using discrete amplifier blocks and transformers, but that project is a bit down the line... All that said, where on earth do you get 202c's?

J- I dont remeber what it cost to build, not too much, I remember the sifam meter being more that everything else in the box combined minus the chasis, so, if you use a cheaper meter it can be an affordable project without question.

dave

Hi Soundguy Dave,

As far as getting 202c's goes, well you do have to dig, but fortunately not too far. You can find them at places that service the classic consoles of the late 70s and early 80s. MCI's in particular were full of them, as they were used for fader automation. I've got a pair that I bought from Randy Blevins at Blevins Audio Inc (anyone who owns an MCI should know Randy Blevins).

As far as mods go, if you have time, you can wait for my variant of the SSL to come online. It uses forssell op-amps with DC servos, paralleled VCA's (for improved dynamic range), and a couple of sidechain tricks, but still keeps the overall SSL topology. I'm hoping it'll serve as a great 2-buss compressor, but time will tell where it's real niche is. I still have some desigin homework to finish though.

Slow and steady....

Cheers,

Kris

Mine cost roughly between $250 and $300 to build (the rack and VU being 1/3 the cost).

It's pretty easy to build too!!

hey kris-

I had thought about the idea of a dc servo on this but tend to think of the few servo sounding circuits Ive heard (which are few) as "cleaner" and I think with the sidechain thats in this box, there might be some pretty diminishing returns for the extra parts and design you'd need to do it. IMO, going with good opamps and lundahl transformers capacitor coupled will far outweigh the sound of the servo with lesser transformers. Thats my speculation of course and it would certainly be interesting to a/b, but I figured Id toss my thoughts into the mix. Ive been wanting to do the same thing though, build this box with a discrete audio path. It sounds great as is, but Im not too excited about running my entire mix through 4 IC's...

dave

Hello!

I'm just building a SSL Clone togehther with a lot of other guys who are building these as well. I was just wondering if anyone has tested this SSL Clone design straight against the original SSL Comp..like the XLogic SSL Compressor? Anyone? Does it sound the same or does it only sound like a cheap home made compressor? How much diffirance and so forth?

Thanx :razz: !

[quote author="gyraf"]Hi Back,

I think we've answered this too many times.. Take a quick search through the archives..

:grin:

Jakob E.[/quote]

Sorry..I'll do that then :razz: !

Latest posts

Back