SSLTech's New Arrival

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhh!!! =Hellermann pliers!!!

-Do you know, those things appear to be almost unheard of in this country... I describe them to people (as I did this afternoon to Scenaria) and nobody knows anything about them!

-So you have the silicone "Hellerine" lubricant that goes with them? -I assume you do, since you're obviously no stranger to Hellermann tubing!

We had two sizes of those back in Blighty... that size and a teeny-tiny pair... they're perfect for close-quarter work when you simply cannot risk using heatshrink tubing for fear of melting other things....

Keith

[quote author="kent"]Hey, Pete

Did ya ever get that oscillation problem sorted out with it?[/quote]

No joy with the old version, but I'm hoping that my freshly wired one with proper lead dressing will be the dogs danglers.

I'll let you know as I've only just fired it up for the first time tonight.

peter

I wasn't sure why mine rolled off at the top end of the audio band, and I dodn;t think that it looked right... surely it should go to at least 20kHz before starting to roll off? ...-right?

-So I dug out a real LA-2a and compared it.

Same damnned roll-off! -Scenaria happened to drop by, so I showed him side-by-side plots on the Neutrik A2... I guess that settles it... it's a good clone!

I also plotted the compression ratio in both 'limit' and 'compress' modes (very little difference) and again it matched the original very closely. Same sort of "soft-ish" knee and similar slope angle... similarly tight slope angle variation between 'limit' and 'compress' settings.

Just for giggles, I measured the distortion figure at +4dBu input, unity gain, +4dBu output... the original measured 0.25% THD+N, the clone measured 0.15%...

Hey, that'll do for me!!! :grin:

-Even better than the real thing!!! -Might be something to do with the ceramic caps in the signal path...who knows... I'm not complaining!

Keith

Hey I was thinking about what we saw today...

you think that the age of the EL might have something to do with the subtle differences between the re-issue and yours?

I'd like to see the T4 modules swapped between the units just for this hell of it

as a matter of fact I have 3 re-issue T4's sitting here and a few new ones .... it would be interesting to see how each of them compares.

Peter,

Nice work,

I love these who's-got-the-neatest-wiring competitions! :wink:

Is it just me, or does the Hellerine loob just smell AMAZING??

:?

And one other tip, don't ever leave 'yer sleeving tongs tong upward on the bench....OUCCCH!!! :roll:

It's good to hear that these DIY LA-2a's measure up as good as a real one!

:guinness:

Mark

don't ever leave 'yer sleeving tongs tong upward

Mark, -do you have a red mark on the outside edge of your right hand by any strange chance?

-Scenaria, bring'em in... We'll have a measurement party!!!

If I can find a parallel printer cable here at work, I can print up the graphs and scan them in for everyone to look at....

Keef

Back