Stepped linear potentiometers ¿where to find?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi!

I'm looking for 10k linear dual or single stepped potentiometers, like the ones used in DBX compressors 166xl 266xl... these have a notch in the rear side and a wiper that reads every notch so it makes it "recallable", despite being a regular linear or log pot. ¿where can i find them?

Thanks a lot!

Jay x

Just to be clear stepped pots that involve small resistors arrayed in a circle, are significantly more expensive than pots using mechanical click detents to provide the apparent steps.

I doubt true stepped pots are used in any mass market gear. I haven't seen them around for decades (IIRC Alps made some).

JR

You could get stepped "pots" using surface mount resistors from China a few years ago, at single digit EUR cost per dual unit. Look on ebay and aliexpress.

do you think those were used inside dbx 166/266?
===
OP appears to want pots with mechanical detents.

JR
These "pots" have mechanical detents. The difference to "real" pots is that they are much more accurate and better matched. And probably lower noise than the usual carbon track pots. And they are not that pricy.

You may need to be somewhat aware of the resistor values used in some of those dact pots in case you end up with some wonky usefulness in certain functions.
being linear wouldn't it just be the pot value divided by the number of steps which woud give you the same resistor value each step or are you referring to other then linear?

being linear wouldn't it just be the pot value divided by the number of steps which woud give you the same resistor value each step or are you referring to other then linear?
I may have it mixed up but when asking about them for Heikki's vari mu, there was an issue using them somewhere... maybe they were backwards for use for the threshold or something

Last edited:
FWIW, that eBay listing above does show a chart of the resistors, and at least according to that they are all identical. (Not that that says anything explicitly about the usefulness of the step sizes within a circuit...)

Hi!

Wow! thanks for the replies!. Now i know the diference between "stepped" and "detented". :LOL: I was looking for detented pots...:) I think there is a distributor in Germany... I saw in a thread.. 12 or 16mm alpha potentiometers. Alphastat.de

Thanks a lot!

Jay x

Latest posts

Back