Studer 169 PSU question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmonaut

Hi everybody, I have just bought an Studer 169 mixer for restoration, is the one with the DC/DC converter ready for batteries. The question is that the psu is missing, I have been watching the specifications, and as I can see, the output shold be 14vdc minimum 3 A (5A optimum).

I have been looking at the schematic in the studer FTP, and the psu is not so complex, but not easy...use discrete regulation and something for battery charging...
The question is, how many of you have the studer with a non original PSU? is passing thru the DC/DC module...or should be better to have directly a PSU with phantom and the 2 rails, directly to the power busses?

I have seen restoration project from Roginator and many others working on their Studer...please comment what you have!

hello

little overpriced but available...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/STUDER-169-powersupply-vintage-rarity-refurbished-/121151612439?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c3532e617

Zam

Hey Cosmonaut

Of course I still have my lovely quatro 169 :)

As I say it's little overpriced to my taste (buy I don't need one...), this one is for sale since month, maybe try to make an offer?
An eurocard PSU, with nice wood and aluminium box, easy to service and not build in china will never be cheep so... make your own idea.

Some years ago I search for 13 pin connector, I never find who was the original manufacturer to have a reference, and as I find a set of Studer extender I don't search more.
It's not a male/female connector system, male is the PCB himself...
If you have a two bus 169 you can remove some connector as all 169 have bus board fitted for 4 master bus.
you can use PP3 and PP4 at frame position ch 9-10 (master 1-2 for quatro version) for your female extender, giving you 4 connector, exactly what you need.
For male side use any proto PCB with same thickness as the studer PCB, just check if its 2mm or 2.54mm (1/10 inch) pitch, I'm not sure right now.
This operation is documented by Rogniator in a tread here (or GS)

Best

Zam

Thanks again Zam, I have found another one...but also high price, maybe are my only options, also I would need the psu connector, do you know which one it is? Tomorrow or monday I will have some time for taking a look at those DIN connectors in the chassis.

Only Zam has an Studer 169?all of your Studer console are running with original psu's?

it's a standard DC jack plug on both side (PSU and 169 monitor module back), just check the internal diameter (2mm ?)
You also have two banana socket available at the PSU side.

Yes I run all my Studer with original PSU.
external box + DC/DC for the 169 and BIG trafo+ 3 regulator in the 289.

Zam

Thanks Zam, finally I have found one here in Spain, but still not arrived...at the moment I am recapping the DC-DC converter, is the first version, that only appears in the phantom mod document in the studer ftp.
But I wanted to change the trimmers R5 and R14, and I can not find R5 in any schematic, and also don't know the value.

Any info? Do you have this stabilizer or the newer one?

Attachments

• dc converter.jpg
    dc converter.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 11
hey

I think I have the same DC/DC
I have no idea about R5 right now, are you sure no value are labelled on it ???

Zam

Well the trimmer is still alive...I will try to take it out and measure for having an idea...but also I just discovered that this converter is one of those with 12v power for condenser microphones...not having the external supply, and having to find the transformer for the DC/DC converter (the one that appears in the 12v schematic mod in the ftp) seems to me quite diffcult, don't know if I should put a power linear psu direct to the power buses, seems like 2 months and 400 euros cheaper...is it too bad?

Latest posts

Back