Sub OPA604AP Fet Input for LM833N

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
i am building a stomp box called the valve stem overdrive aka Tube Zone

it calls out an LM833N but no have in stock,

do have Burr Brown OPA604AP but it is a fet input, can i swap it into this circuit, thanks!>

tube zone.jpg

JFET is often better for guitar applications. Some things to note though, LM833 is dual, OPA604 is single. OPA604 also draws more current which could matter for battery power.

JFET is often better for guitar applications. Some things to note though, LM833 is dual, OPA604 is single. OPA604 also draws more current which could matter for battery power.
OPA2604 was the dual version, but I do not think it is made any longer. OPA2134 is the current replacement if you do not need high voltage supplies.

For that circuit a 4558 would work.
Fancy opamps in guitar effects often don't make much difference
I have tried different opamps in effect circuits
Here is an example I have adjusted a number of TSs. An EQ, gain or diode clipping adjustment is heard however the opamp does not seem to matter much as long as it does not have drive issues and if it has a fet input if needed for higher input resistance.

What can make a difference is how they act when driven to the power supply rails
The output drive
The input resistance

I would make R1 10meg and adjust the C R input.
I often like .01uf 1 meg for clean, for fuzz and distortion try .01uf with a 220k to 470k input resistance
Sometimes you want to limit the bass early in the circuit when you clip the signal

Back