Suggestions for replacing a Fluke 8060a?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thread title is replacement for an 8060A. The feature of an 8060A that is only available on the most expensive Fluke 487/489 is wide AC bandwidth measurements in dB. The EM7000 has that and is compact and accurate.

I take it you’ve never used a good analog meter on that compressor calibration. Digital sampling meters miss a lot.

I have an AP P1 and I’ve used Minilyzers. I don’t like them.

@Gold Nice to see an analog meter at an affordable price with wide AC bandwidth and FET buffering.
@Tubetec Good to know the 187 has dB. I haven't had a reason to look at it in awhile.

I have a stack of five Fluke 8050s on my bench and a single 8060. All but one were bought used off eBay and repaired.
The 8060 and I have at least 20,000 air miles on us.

I used to travel with about $10K of repair parts in my flight case.
Had a client once ask me why I didn't travel with an AP1.
I explained that I could spend $10K on an AP or $10K in parts and that I could only carry so much stuff.
I then went on to state that the AP would tell me that the client's gear was broken but, due to him calling me for service, it was pretty clear that it being broken was already firmly established.
I then asked which would he prefer: Me having an instrument telling him what we already knew or having parts on-site to fix it?
That ended the line of inquiry.

I tend to be the practical type and not a test instrument elitist...
If I had a client that was down with musicians waiting for a repair the last thing I need is a Minilyzer.

My tape machine tech was over the other day. He saw my AP P1 and looked longingly at it. He travels with a good analog and digital multimeter. He can run circles around me. If you know what you are doing you don’t need much. I need help.

One other thing worth a mention about the 187/189 meters is the RMS integrator cap , tantalum SMD, after years of use the settling time of the instrument on ac ranges seems to go longer than it should .
I didnt do the job on my 187 yet .

My neighbour in the old place used allow me use his SMD station if I needed it , guys well into his 80's and still has the hands and brain to do the most detailed reworking jobs , industrial and aerospace grade , although originally TV rental was the family trade , he's very much the old school white coat boffin/nerd/genius ,
Reminds me I should drop him an email ,

The Japanese seem to know the value of a good analog meter ,
older moving coil meters drew appreciable current ,
the fet input on EM7000 I dont think I noticed before ,
I keep an Avo model 8 around , more as a museum piece these days ,

I often find myself looking at old post office and telecoms multimeters on secondhand pages ,
They generally come in an Eveready leather case with a shoulder strap so no worries getting up a pole or a ladder with it ,

Last edited:
Contact cleaner at switches may help ?
Worked great... Not used to the power switch being so smooth and responsive.... makes me nervous..lol But it's awesome
Thanks...

and thanks Wayne for pointing out that the cap size has a lot of wiggle room. Got me up and running asap. Although now I have a stash of miniatures...lol

Thanks everyone

Back