Suggestions needed for software, interface etc.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a quick look for bandwidth results operating at 192ks, and an ASR test showed a -3dB at about 65kHz for the 2i2. ASR also showed the Motu M4 was within 3dB out at 96kHz. I assume those tests were loopback, as it wasn't quite clear.

I guess it varies alot depending on hardware and what filters ,regulation and dc-dc conversion is involved , but in general Id favour an audio interface on its own dedicated supply anyday , thats not to say RF mush cant get superimposed on the audio path via ground either . Be interesting to take a standard USB powered interface and check how the noise figures stack up from a really quiet 5 volts vs hashy 5v mobo supplies .
Most of the better interfaces use an internal SMPS to up the USB supply to something like 12V or so for better headroom and at the same time take the opportunity to add a low noise linear regulator so the quality of the mobo supply is much less of an issue. There are plenty of YouTube tear-downs you can look at which are most instructive.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian

That's interesting. Many people suggest using a USB powered interface in order to avoid potential issues like groundloop and extra noise.
It's a common issue, but very often the problem is not the soundcard in itself, it's the unbalanced connections that make the rest of the equipment share a common ground with the computer.
Actually, I've never been able to get a really quiet connection with the internal soundcard of a desktop, unless using instrumentation techniques (remote-ground sensing). Laptops are much better in that respect, although can be noisy when powered from mains; battery operation is always clean, except when the CD/DVDis running.

Theres a new player in the audio test software game , seems like a usefull tool in that its dedicated to multitone distortion measurment , its only available in beta for now as some of the bugs are ironed out .

More here over in the audioscence review Cosmos ADC page recently ,

and the makers site here ,

https://distortaudio.org/multitone.html
Not intended for speaker measurements by the way.

Theres a new player in the audio test software game , seems like a usefull tool in that its dedicated to multitone distortion measurment , its only available in beta for now as some of the bugs are ironed out .
Thank you for letting us know.
Any new measurement software is interesting, however, the advantages of multitone measurements for hobbyists/DYI'ers are somewhat elusive.
My test bench PC is 32-bit only, so wont wuk.
More here over in the audioscence review Cosmos ADC page recently ,
I had somewhat lost contact with ASR, to my loss. I see this long thread covers many of the caveats with Cosmos. Much more valuable than the Discord channel.
It is revealing Ivan's partner clearly states the ADC has been designed for testing their DAC-phones amp combos, not for general audio measurement.
Most of their traffic is dedicated to some kind of dick contest where the winner is the one that shows the smallest THD. I call it missing the forest for the tree.
Not intended for speaker measurements by the way.
They just warn about the dangers of damaging speakers/headphones/ears. I wonder if there's also some kind of limitation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back