suggestions on putting the intern/assistant in check

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yknow at work we had this "janitor" that would show up a couple times a week, she was a college student, pretty cute kindof alt girl. I have no idea what she was doing being a janitor, but I guess it was just easy mindless work for her. I remember my old boss (before he passed) asked her if she'd be interested in coming in the next day to do some paper filing. Her reply: "fuck that, that's bitch work"... lmao. And cleaning the toilet isn't?

lol...I miss her.

There is nothing wrong with any kind of honest labor, and doing things that other people don't want to, is often a rich opportunity.

I worry sometimes about the amount of honest labor that US workers think is below them, but that's another can of worms I don't need to open just now...

JR

Just going by this thread ...

pucho812 said:
... He is starting to lax on some of his daily duties, in some cases not doing them at all, even though he has already been reminded what said duties are. For example one duty is that at the end of the work day he is supposed to take the studio trash out and vacuum the entire studio. ...
Strike 1

pucho812 said:
... With in minutes, he was unable to figure out some very basic pro tools I/O setup  to get a full 24 I/O(use default input and output) and more over wasted an hour trying to figure it out before calling me. Which is now an hour of studio time that we either not bill the client or make up to the client later on. The client was pissed about wasting the hour.  ...
Strike 2

pucho812 said:
... I popped in today to find little minor things that if I was a paying client I would be pissed about. Like for example NO toilet paper. Yeah they ran out last night at some point and dude did not change it. We have plenty in the supply closet. ...
Strike 3
In summary ... OUT.

I would focus on the technical miss steps. He obviously doesn't think doing a good job at the menial tasks is very important to being a world famous audio engineer. I would tell him that you understand doing the menial stuff is no fun but there is no way he can have more responsibility if he can't do something as simple and easy as set up a session. That just might shame him into doing the other stuff. If it doesn't cut bait. There is usually a healthy amount of self doubt behind a big ego. And you need a pretty big ego to survive this industry.

Gold said:
I would focus on the technical miss steps. He obviously doesn't think doing a good job at the menial tasks is very important to being a world famous audio engineer. I would tell him that you understand doing the menial stuff is no fun but there is no way he can have more responsibility if he can't do something as simple and easy as set up a session. That just might shame him into doing the other stuff. If it doesn't cut bait. There is usually a healthy amount of self doubt behind a big ego. And you need a pretty big ego to survive this industry.

true. 

How people handle the small and menial things often reflects on how they handle the important things.  Does everyone here know the reason behind the "no brown M&M's" clause in Van Halen's rider?

What he needs to understand is that he represents the studio........ whether it be cleaning toilets or assisting on sessions  (especially when he is in direct contact with a client).  Any fail makes the studio lose face in the eyes of a client and can be a source of lost revenue in the future.  I mean, is your business a five star hotel or a two star... and where would you rather stay?

If he is unable or unwilling to fullfill his duties to the letter, he needs a sharp kick up the arse...... if that doesn't work, he needs to go.

I live near LA too... I remember losing PA jobs early on because I couldn't be in a particular place half an hour from when I was called...  (I lived 45 minutes away :) )

good luck!

Jesus, I wish I could of had the opportunity this brat has. If that was me in the day not only would there be shit paper in the bog it would be shining and if there was no toilet brush I'd use my fucking tounge to clean the thing!!!
Send this idiot packing and get someone who will appreciate the opportunity and who will an asset not a liability.

seems to be the general consensus is to replace the boy with someone who can and will do his job knowing it will lead to other things less menial and even getting studio time for free during days when it's not booked. Time have a talk with the boss man

My thoughts are:
If someone does something wrong-let them know what is expected.  It's a job.  If he's willing to change, I'd give him a chance to do that.  If not, then he needs to go because he doesn't really want to be there anyway...

Mbira said:
My thoughts are:
If someone does something wrong-let them know what is expected.  It's a job.  If he's willing to change, I'd give him a chance to do that.  If not, then he needs to go because he doesn't really want to be there anyway...

well he has been given time to change and what is expected has been laid out for him in black and white.  He is choosing to not do his job to the full expectations we have of him and is rather picking and choosing what and when he does his job duties. Like take yesterday he started off as the assistant  engineer for  a band in all weekend. It's easy yet meaning full gig as it's full tracking date for a full rock band. He wants more responsibility and we obliged. He did the first day but couldn't be here the weekend when he was needed as ditched it for a gig as head engineer somewhere else. this place is his full time  work place he shouldn't be ditching out for anything. More over on his task sheet he is supposed to vacuum and clean at the end of the day. He says he didn't because he planned to do it in the morning. He would have but he is not here today.

pucho812 said:
couldn't be here the weekend when he was needed as ditched it for a gig as head engineer somewhere else.

Time for him to be full time somewhere else it seems

If someone were eager they'd do more than their job , All great and many obvious points here ,
[  NOT a good example of " giving 100 %  to use the cliche , never mind taking up other people's time complaining ]
should show him this thread so he knows what the norm or standard is , [ what successful people do  ] time to grow up
stop being spoiled . this will give him more education than he knows , and not to be trite but,
everyone will be better off for it . Not exactly tough love but time for a reality check
" Intern  , Check on Isle one  ! "

I think his ego need some deflating and he needs to be put in check. Your trying to show him the ropes and teach him, teach him a good leson and let him go.

Well here is the kicker. The studio is owned by a a musician who is famous and well respected. The noob has yet to do a session with the owner. If he thinks that the chief tech  which is me and the chief engineer are hard on him. He has a whole other experience and whole other level of being butt hurt if he is kept around long enough for that to happen.

guys thanks for the advice. My gut feeling was exactly what you guys have been stating. It's just nice to hear other people say it vs me thinking I am being too picky and being an asshole. Hell I still may be an asshole but it's clear, if you want to be here and your getting paid you will do your job, even the not  so glamourous parts of it. 

Here is what you can do, tell him to contact me and ill kick his ass since I have been looking for an assistant position in a studio for 6 years and can not get one.

Yeah really  , if you live in a house , then you take out the garbage
If you feel you belong in the studio , then isn't like your Home ?

I'd be curious , you should ask him about his home life or what he does in off time

Latest posts

Back