summing/preamp/monitor controller design questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefanM

Hello all,
I hope your are not too tired of summing devices...but I have some questions left that I could not figure out reading old threads.
What I want to build: bal. summing 8 stereo inputs (bal., volume, mute, fixed L/R panning) split to xlr outputs and internal gain stage (CADAC mic preamps), stereo monitoring section switchable to summing output or 2 external bal. sources, volume control, mono, mute. 2 pairs of bal. outputs to drive different active monitors.

I want to keep it bal. throughout. The monitoring must not load down the summing output (to external A/D). I want minimum L/R level differences and next to no compromise in audio quality...

Questions:
1.) Do I want frontpanel gain control for the preamp - or do I simply calculate summing loss and build fixed gain? If gain control: does it need to be switched step (guess so)?
2.) I would like to transformer split the preamp out to a)xlr b)monitoring section. Makes sense? Which transformer? (one secondary to xlr, one secondary to monitor - or one direct?)
3.) monitor volume control: any option other then 4pole switched step attenuator? (please keep it analogue...)
4.) mono summing: better do it active or not?
5.) mute: simple switch/relay or FET based?

Thank you all for your input.

I have made good experiences with J-Type & F-Type pres (which are basically the same) and would use J-Type boards in this project.

Stefan

I would calculate the loss and make the gain adjustable between +10/-20 dB of the calculated figure. Switched makes better stereo tracking.

For the other Qs, it would be helpful if you could draw your setup.

Do you have schemos for the C*adac stuff? Would be very interested!

Samuel

@Samuel: Thanks for your hint. I will try to make a drawing...
as for the C_A_D_A_C stuff I have no schematics but one preamp on paper. If I ever have time to scan it...

Sorry if I repeat myself: In an all balanced monitor-controller would you do mono-summing acive or passive? What would you do for output muting: switch/relay or some FET-switching?

Thank you again
Stefan

A studio I recorded at about 10 years ago (just around the corner from me) uses a Cadac 88.
Picture of it here...
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=4598&highlight=cadac

I can ask him nicely to have a poke around if anybody is interested

Back