Supergreen Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="lagoausente"]A question about "low ESR". Is important the get all electrolytics low ESR or only the specified in the part list?
At the end notes tells: "electrolytic cap must have temp rating 105 and low ESR...[/quote]

Oh come on.... if you have the money get the most esoteric electrolytics you can find. But you won't burn your house when they are not rated at 105° (maybe you will, but that's not due to the caps then) and you probably won't hear a difference with high-ESR (no, you won't find those in the advertisement) types. At least the stuff I wrote in my PDF (supergreen_instructions.pdf) was meant as a general guideline, no need to follow it. Choose whatever cap fit's through the holes on the board. And if you don't like what you hear, get out the soldering iron once more and put in another type until you hear what you like. YOU CAN'T BUILD THE BEST SUPERGREEN BECAUSE THERE IS NO "THE BEST SUPERGREEN"!

Olaf

Don´t get angry man!

At least the stuff I wrote in my PDF (supergreen_instructions.pdf) was meant as a general guideline, no need to follow it.

That´s why I ask. I have read parameteres like ESR can affect or not depending on the use of the cap in the circuit, and I still don´t know that.

Choose whatever cap fit's through the holes on the board. And if you don't like what you hear, get out the soldering iron once more and put in another type until you hear what you like. YOU CAN'T BUILD THE BEST SUPERGREEN BECAUSE THERE IS NO "THE BEST SUPERGREEN"!

I don´t think there are esoterics on this issues. I´m not telling that if put the most expensive parts will have the "best preamp". Simply want to put the ones more adequated depending on the function it has in the circuit. Of course don´t like to have a knock bottle, but neither unnecesary extra cost. Just that.
Someone told me, learning all this is like to start playing an instrument..
Well, diferent types of components, like caps, are used for diferent purposes, and each type is more adequate, then others for each application, frequency, etc..Each meterial, has it´s specs, and sometimes can be complementary. Isn´t? That´s why an electrolytic and a ceramic are putted in paralell to complement each other, and so the ceramic will conver the higher frequencies, and the electrolytic, the lower ones,, or at least I think have read this anywhere..
In my question about ESR, I suppose the guideline has any fundament. Since I´m not emancipated yet, have to take the guideline, and also, ask.
So that´s what I ask, is simply: the recomendation of the low ESR, would apply to C9, C10, C18 and C25 or to all electrolytics?
Really, I don´t think that the reason to select one component must be, take the iron and try. There must be a reason based on specs, and functionally. If no, then applies the theory you criticize, just buy exoteric compononents and hear what want to hear.

ESR is something you don´t want to have in a cap because it degrades the capcitive function to a more complex behaviour. Going for Low ESR in every position of a circuit is a good choice.

:thumb: Thanks again, Jensenmann.

Still any doubts around: Ferrite Bead, turns?, Ohms? Anyone?

I´m confused about relays.
http://es.farnell.com/jsp/Electrical/Relays+&+Solenoids/OMRON/G6H-2-100+5DC/displayProduct.jsp?sku=9949194

Contact DC Max: 30V is the voltage I could aply to it? or the voltage it will manage?
Or, from 5V could suppy this relay with 9V, or will overload it?
the next I can see on Farnell, is 12VDC, and 24VDC, but in the datascheem cannot find the range of V I could supply at each model, or at least I´m misunderstanding it.

Hey Guys could the Relays on this be 48V? considering a Handcrafted Tone PSU. 20-0-20 and +48?? Maybe the current demand on the 317 would be too much?

[quote author="jensenmann"]Buy ferrite beds where you simply sitck a wire through, no turns, like this:

42417199.jpg

they have no Ohms[/quote]

Why the hell is the Bead for? no wires no ohms, and so? What´s its function?

3nity, I think so. Maybe some like this could work:

http://es.farnell.com/jsp/Electrical/Relays+&+Solenoids/OMRON/G6A-234P-ST-US+48DC/displayProduct.jsp?sku=9949011

I personally, will not add a PSU. I´ll try to supply the preamp with 4x 9V batteries.

I need ask: How do you make the holes for the XLR :?:

I will use a hammond case, but have no idea how can make that big holes.

Where must be conected the phantom GND point?
In the pcb, pin5 of J5 just conect to caps coming from the +48V point.
But to feed the mic, it´s supposed the negative phantom supply must go to pin 1, isn´t? Must I put a bridge to pin1?
What about AGND? Must go to chassis aswell as Pin1 or not?
And PGND?
:?

Hi Greg,
Just searching for this stuff... If you still have the supergreen info, could you mail it to the group diy gmail account?

thanks!

Hi everyone,
with no supply of boards for this project, I would like to ask if anyone has any boards that would like to sell?

I would love to buy it from you

thank you
best regards

Tiago

Latest posts

Back