Switching inputs and outputs with minimal sound quality changes?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

I am currently considering monitor controllers, but I have so far been unhappy with most affordable models.

They seem to affect the width of the stereo image, and just doesn't sound the-same as directly plugging the converters out to the amp, so I am trying to figure out the best way to be able to switch inputs and monitors without affecting sound quality that I am use to.

I am considering just getting a switchbox of some sort that can switch between inputs to outputs. Is it safe to say that this should not change the sound in any way as long as it is passive/mechanical?

Last edited:
. Is it safe to say that this should not change the sound in any way as long as it is passive/mechanical?
It shouldn't. The big isue with passive controllers is the level ajustment, which makes the system sensitive to cable length.
Actually, a well-designed passive volume control should be transparent at max setting, but anywhere else the interaction with cables may result in loss of HF and possible increased cross-talk.
You could probably by-pass the volume control of your existing controller to do what you want, but you would be left to the problem of how to control level.
I claim that only an active solution (line receiver, attenuator/pot and line driver) can provide a satisfactory answer.
That is in contradiction with most sales blurb, where the passive nature is supposed to provide a pure transparent performance. Actually the insertion of a volume pot or attenutor results in performance degradation that is far greater than what a well-designed active circuit could introduce.
The circuitry involved does not need to be expensive, but it does not exist as a sensibly priced commercial product, so you woud have to DIY it.

Last edited:
You must be aware that, because you're switching low-level signals, you need to use switches that are adapted to the task. These are usually identified by a very low VA rating. In most cases, it means gold-contacts, not silver nor gold over silver.
contact ratings.jpg
That's one of the reasons why many choose to use standard push-buttons that are much cheaper, to drive relays directly or via some logic. Gold contact relays are not very much more expensive than standard ones. In addition relays often make the wiring less prone to pick-up noise.

I just checked the prices of some good 3 pole rotary switches and they're quiet expensive. I was reading up online that there is still an issue of cross talk with some of the rotary switches in 3 in 3 out selector switchboxes.

Back