T-14 Transformer China Manufactured..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly sure why I am commenting on this, other than to say.
More than a few companies try to copy Oliver's transformer/circuit designs and attempt to generate business from AMI's engineering and respected reputation. (a few have elevated their profile and have become erroneously respected)

Oliver shared his knowledge and technical expertise openly to help the musician/artist.
-as the saying goes...."copying is a form of flattery" (However, it is definitely a lack of originality or Honesty!!)

Genuine AMI/TAB products are only sold direct from the factory or though our dealers/distributors, (Zenpro Audio, Cathedral Guitar, Fox Audio Research, Digital Audio Service)

-Dennis

Attachments

• T14 Spec sheet.png
    T14 Spec sheet.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 1
Well, different inductances, on the Chinese T-14 - 100H, and on AMI - 150H. (although measurements could be made in different ways).
In any case, it will already be different in sound.
It is likely that AMI could be better.

I will need to buy AMI and compare them yourself.
I wonder if the Chinese transformer can get close to AMI or not..

Attachments

• T-14.jpg
    T-14.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
As far as I know, in the AKG12 / 251, the T14 / 1 transformer was used for the most part.

AMI T14 transformer has different specifications than original T14/1.

The T14 transformer from Ali Express is a Chinese "clone" of AMI, which has other technical parameters.
Rather, they are similar only in name.

I do not have AMI, but there is a Chinese T14 with aliexpress.
There is also a wonderful T14 / 1 transformer from MOBY, which is a copy of the original transformer.
- A completely different sound that I like incomparably more than the "clone" "clone" with aliexpress.

Yes, I did not manage to find such a "miracle" either.
I already tried searching by image and by text.

All characteristics are the same as the usual "T14" with aliexpress.
But the inductance of the primary winding is 2 times higher than that of AMI and 3 times than that of a conventional Chinese T14.
If the dimensions of the core and DCR remained the same, but the inductance increased by a factor of 3!, then this does not seem to be true..

Anyone try the ASTDS T13?
I want to find a couple of inexpensive transformers and these keep popping up on Aliexpress for $18, and at least according to what I'm seeing here, the T-14 sounds pretty clean?

Astds (desheng) is an automated transformer factory that makes the transformers for most high-end audio equipment made in China and the transformers can be pretty good but buying them second hand without specification, you might get ones with looser tolerances. I thought about custom ordering some tighter tolerance ones to keep in my store but the price was just not meaningfully lower than UTM

You can view their full model list here:
http://www.zgdes.com/sitemap.html

They have essentially a monopoly over high-end transformers in China and they do all of both the legitimate and illegitimate business. Note that they make both the transformer for the fake u87ai and the output transformer for a famous brand of preamps. Market monolith with zero scruples. If given tight specifications, their products are excellent, but the specifications to which these secondhand transformers are ordered are unknown.

Last edited:
What could / might one measure or test, to determine how "right" they may or may not be? Just sincerely curious...

What could / might one measure or test, to determine how "right" they may or may not be? Just sincerely curious...
i've never tested most of the transformers they're cloning (assuming it's all ripoffs of AMI transformers?) so i have nothing practical to add here. you'd need to at least compare the inductances and impedances with the transformer it's replacing and/or test each of the values in the spec sheet vs the given specification. the stated +-15% tolerance is kinda wide. verifying audio performance would require in-circuit testing. that's another reason why I went with UTM. The performance of those transformers is verified. the hassle of testing all the DS transformers would be beyond the increased cost at volume.

Last edited:
Back