Sourcing a potentiometer 222G 100KBX2

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huge

I have an SPL De-Esser MK1. One channel passes signal but sounds as if the de-essing is stuck all the way at max setting. SPL quoted me $200 just to send it in (non-refundable) so I figured I'd try to repair it myself. I'm hoping it is the STEPPED potentiometer (40 steps) in the picture that reads 222G 100KBX2. Also, the left more LED on the meter (which designates max de-essing) is permanently lit--like it is stuck on that setting somehow. If you think it is something else other than the pot causing the issue, please let me know as I know very little about circuits etc. and would rather save myself the trouble if it's not a simple fix!

Attachments

• Pot-Top.jpg
    Pot-Top.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Pot-Back.jpg
    Pot-Back.jpg
    947.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Pot-Board.jpg
    Pot-Board.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • LED.jpg
    LED.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I don't think your issue has anything to do with the POT,
but anyway it's really easy to test the pot and measure it t be sure.

The pot is actually a Dual pot, 2 tracks and 2 wipers in one enclosure.
It's marked 100KB which means that is a Linear taper. Strange that on the PCB it says 100KA which would mean a LOG (audio taper) Pot

A = Audio Taper (LOG)
B = Linear taper

So to be sure about the POT just de-solder it from the PCB, and measure Total DC resistance of both tracks. And them measure DC resistance at each individual steps

Thanks for the replies. Am I able to test the pot without de-soldering it from the PCB? If it's working ok, I'll probably just call it a day.

Turn the pot fully one way. Then measure resistance between the centre wiper and each end.
You should find pretty much a short at one end, and some resistance equal to but probably (much) less than the value of the pot.

Then turn the pot fully the other way and measure again, you should get the same but opposite.
Since this is a dual pot you should do this on both segments.

This is usually quite a reliable way of testing a pot in circuit.

Latest posts

Back