Tascam DA 45HR Repair - tape guide adjustment

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneshell

Hi everyone.
I am in the process of repairing a Tascam DA 45HR. I’ve already fixed the mechanical error and loading issues. The tape loads and feeds just fine. My issue is that there is no audio being passed during playback. The meters register and pass audio when using the jog wheel to scrub forward and reverse, just nothing on regular ole playback. I figured it’s gotta be that the tape isn’t tight enough against the playback head. Does anyone know how to and can instruct me how to adjust the tape tension?
Much appreciated

You need to find the service manual. This is a DAT machine, and the audio is not recorded like a normal tape recorder.
I have a service manual. And a torque measuring DAT tape on the way. The service manual covers the DA-40 as well as the DA-45HR but the diagram that shows how to adjust torque only shows a pic of the DA-40. They are slightly different, internally. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this before and can point out which screw to turn.

Attachments

• g8ysyb9gmf3ouw18io5b.jpg
    g8ysyb9gmf3ouw18io5b.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0
Look at the waveform of the RF-signal just after the head preamp - this tells you most of what you need to know about the tape transport

DAT mutes audio whenever err rate surpasses a certain threshold. It's a terrible format, depending on interpolation to work at all..

/Jakob E.

Back