Testing Trannies, got to be a better way....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guavatone

I made this geofx.com inspired test plate for testing some old UTC's and DI experimentation. I want to test with preamps too.

Can I just run a line out of my console to get a good idea what the XFMRs sound like? I used a mic since they are 600ohm mic xfmrs for this and it was a pain in the but.

I'm thinking of ading some 3p3t switches and more xlrs to AB quickly.

xfmrtest.jpg

I'm trying to something similar. What I've been doing, which may be all wrong :? , is run a line out of my comp (using a signal generator program) into my console. Then, since I don't have balanced outs, output a signal to a DI box then out of that into the transformer.

I then set the signal generator to output a series of freq, and measured the input and output of the transformer. I'm hoping to plot a graph to check the freq response. I haven't gotten to far yet... One problem I'm having is I'm only able to get down to about 4mA output from the DI, not quite mic level.

A couple of things I'm unsure about is if the output of the XFMR needs a dummy load on the secondary winding. Also, the input voltage to the XFMR varies with freq, and I'm not sure if I should keep setting back to a common input voltage, or if the change is a result of the transformer itself, and should be included in the response.

hmm, I'm hoping CJ "the xfmr wizard" would chime in. He could help us both out I'm sure.

Yeah, I was thinking there were 2 issues about the console output; impedance and level. The DI solves the impedance issue and the level issue might be solved by a pot or resistor network.

The DI idea bothers me because - it will impart its own sonic characteristics to the path. Maybe all ccan be resolved with resistors.

The other question is how the XFMR output gets to the preamp. Maybe a Fetboy channel would be good for a simple uncolored sound.

Maybe a chunk of wood with some mini clip leads attached.

I don't see a way around soldering some wires.

Doing A/B tests is a real nightmare, becuase then, you have to wire up two or more transformers.
Who want's to do that when they could be breaking out the saw?
:razz:

Back