The cheapest DIY 25mm capsule holder!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
I think we all know it. It's Saturday morning, the desire to tinker with microphones hits hard but unfortunately you don't have a suitable capsule holder.

What to do?

20230603_102925.jpg
20230603_103756.jpg
My suggestion, a 25mm standard tube holder from the local hardware store.
20230603_103849.jpg
20230603_103920.jpg
20230603_110429.jpg

20230603_123529.jpg
20230603_123611.jpg
Ready to roll! Have fun.

Looks like it is bm 800 body. There capsule must be placed on more low level in other case it will be too much on top. Possible use but some part of capsule on top will be closed by metal sheet.

Do these fit the SDCs that @kingkorg has turned people onto? I'm in US, but have found a lot of the holders that normally come with capsules are just a mm or 2 too tight. Would love something a little larger to also have a bit of shockmount tape around diameter as well.

Great idea!

Do these fit the SDCs that @kingkorg has turned people onto? I'm in US, but have found a lot of the holders that normally come with capsules are just a mm or 2 too tight. Would love something a little larger to also have a bit of shockmount tape around diameter as well.
This is exactly the capsule that was "discovered" by Kingkorg, so I call it KK12. ;)
The tube holder from the DIY store fits perfectly, it is really a tight fit. No need for glue. I wonder if tape will fit in between. That depends on the thickness of the tape.

Looks like it is bm 800 body. There capsule must be placed on more low level in other case it will be too much on top. Possible use but some part of capsule on top will be closed by metal sheet.
Don't forget that even in the U47, the top edge of the capsule is behind the grille's top ring.

Attachments

• 47 2.jpeg
    47 2.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 2
I think we all know it. It's Saturday morning, the desire to tinker with microphones hits hard but unfortunately you don't have a suitable capsule holder.

What to do?

View attachment 109731
View attachment 109732
My suggestion, a 25mm standard tube holder from the local hardware store.
View attachment 109733
View attachment 109734
View attachment 109735

View attachment 109736
View attachment 109737
Ready to roll! Have fun.
I like this kind of thinking, but personally, I wouldn't want that much reflective/diffractive surface right next to/under the capsule.

I just cut down the stock capsule holder till it looks like a saddle, then afix the capsule with a strip of Scotch Extreme Mount tape.
https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Mount-Extreme-Double-Sided-Mounting-414H-Long-DC/dp/B00FUEN2GKThen re-attach to top plate with rubber grommets, using longer screws. I also round the front edge of the post with orthodontic wax, duct seal, or whatever.

Last edited:
I like this kind of thinking, but personally, I wouldn't want that much reflective/diffractive surface right next to/under the capsule.
This is definitely a valid point to consider.

Two thoughts on this. There are actually other 25mm holders for plastic tubes (even in black) that have much less surface area and of course you can still take material away. But I would have had to order these, they were not available locally here.

Another point is that I want to be able to quickly compare different 25mm capsules with this microphone, and this holder is pretty good for that, because you don't have to glue the capsules and can simply click them in. Really cool.

I just cut down the stock capsule holder till it looks like a saddle, then afix the capsule with a strip of Scotch Extreme Mount tape.
https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Mount-Extreme-Double-Sided-Mounting-414H-Long-DC/dp/B00FUEN2GK Then re-attach to top plate with rubber grommets.
Yes, I have already seen that in your mics, that is a good solution, but as already mentioned, my objective was different.

Last edited:
I'm not as experienced as either of you with this area, but I have thought about capsule isolation and headbasket reflections, resonances etc. and have done a few experiments. Most recently a few months ago I tried a circle of melamine on the capsule post in a GT2B / 47FET build. It seemed like a good solution to help with some resonance etc., but shortly thereafter I noticed what appeared to be tiny specs of melamine on the diaphragm. I'm unsure if that was just a bad batch of melamine or is par for course, but it seems like a potential solution if the shedding could be prevented. Way down on the list of projects/tinkering...

Hey Rock! Lovely and elegant solution. I will trade you for mine. I cut a ring of grey PVC pipe fitting which has approximately 25mm inside diameter, drill a hole in the side, and SuperGlue short length of screw thread in it. A suitable nut can be used to hold it in place, if necessary.

My solution works swell - but I also like your idea - very neat and elegant, old man. James

One Inch brass electret capsule  (20).JPGOne Inch brass electret capsule  (21).JPGPVC 34mm saddle project (1).JPGPVC 34mm saddle project (3).JPG

Hey Rock! Lovely and elegant solution. I will trade you for mine. I cut a ring of grey PVC pipe fitting which has approximately 25mm inside diameter, drill a hole in the side, and SuperGlue short length of screw thread in it. A suitable nut can be used to hold it in place, if necessary.
Ha ha, that was my first idea but then I saw the tube holders.

Your solution looks good and is probably acoustically better. (y)

Most recently a few months ago I tried a circle of melamine on the capsule post in a GT2B / 47FET build. It seemed like a good solution to help with some resonance etc., but shortly thereafter I noticed what appeared to be tiny specs of melamine on the diaphragm
I do the same with Basotect, a melamine foam. I haven't noticed that yet, actually melamine is quite dense, that shouldn't happen. I'll have to check this.

My solution works swell - but I also like your idea - very neat and elegant, old man. James

View attachment 109749View attachment 109750View attachment 109751View attachment 109752
Just be aware that this thick material effectively increases the diameter of the capsule, delaying the time it takes the sound to travel around the capsule, changing the sound.

I wanted a mount for this kind of capsule that was easy to 'change out' for experiments...
So I bolted a small section of neoprene to a conventional mount I already had, took a section of rubber band, and super glued it into a circle with a diameter slightly less than the diameter of the capsule.... Glue the rubber ring to the neoprene, then insert the capsule into the ring.
The tension keeps the capsule - which weighs next to nothing - in place, whilst retaining some isolation from vibration , because of the rubbber in the assembly.
Only intended as a short term measure during experiments originally, I have one that is still working well after more than a year (so far!)
SuperGlue can be especially effective when used on rubber, I've found...

Attachments

• £3.capsule.front.jpg
    £3.capsule.front.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 1
Here is regular bm 800 mic which is possible buy here. Regularly here is not enough space for placing 34 mm capsule but i will do some capsule holder with low level of mount for 3d printing later. I have small skill for this. Just this mic building not like a work of my life so i can't be sure about final results. But if i will have good 3d model for printing i will share it. Also it is will be for tape mounting any way.

Attachments

• 20230604_193115.jpg
    20230604_193115.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
that this thick material effectively increases the diameter of the capsule,

RIGHT. (And yet, I am reasonably confident that will not adversely affect MY amateur productions . . .) :) :)

I ALSO make a shorter saddle that accommodates Mr. Khron's observation, which is illustrated by the attached photos. I used a small hand drill to make holes for the mounting screws, and a slightly larger bit to countersink them in the PVC. The trick is guessing where to put the holes so they align with those on the capsule. It is not easy to mark where to drill because the capsule and saddle are curved.

I have ALSO used double-sided tape, hot glue, and superglue to mount capsules, but prefer all other means to superglue because it is do dag blamed permanent. Just MY take. James

Attachments

• short saddle 34mm IMG_4159.JPG
    short saddle 34mm IMG_4159.JPG
    571.8 KB · Views: 2
  • short saddle 34mm img_4166.JPG
    short saddle 34mm img_4166.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back