Let's talk about capsule holders!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really would like to hear one of these mics and what effect the headbasket shape has:
cykellyktan-3.jpg
kondensatormikrofon_kl_m_063_a_1685936.jpg

Here is the Chameleon Labs TS-2 mounting system (front and rear). The spheroid shape acts as a diffuser and made an appreciable difference in the final "voicing" of the microphone, as did the Audience output capacitor. Previous to adding it, there were audible issues with the reflections off the large metal plate to which the capsule mount and yoke were attached.

I've experimented with felt, foam, firm plastic, etc. but I didn't want materials like felt or foam to be inside the grill as they break down over time and the electrostatic properties of the capsule act as a magnet for any particles that come lose.

I've seen a clear plastic completely sphere-shaped mount that was wider than the capsule made by a DIYer on another forum (think of the shape of a snowman when viewing the capsule from the front or rear). He said it sounded very good.

Attachments

• TS-2 Capsule Mount, Front.jpeg
    TS-2 Capsule Mount, Front.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • TS-2 Capsule Mount, Rear.jpeg
    TS-2 Capsule Mount, Rear.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Here is the Chameleon Labs TS-2 mounting system (front and rear). The spheroid shape acts as a diffuser and made an appreciable difference in the final "voicing" of the microphone, as did the Audience output capacitor. Previous to adding it, there were audible issues with the reflections off the large metal plate to which the capsule mount and yoke were attached.

I've experimented with felt, foam, firm plastic, etc. but I didn't want materials like felt or foam to be inside the grill as they break down over time and the electrostatic properties of the capsule act as a magnet for any particles that come lose.

I've seen a clear plastic completely sphere-shaped mount that was wider than the capsule made by a DIYer on another forum (think of the shape of a snowman when viewing the capsule from the front or rear). He said it sounded very good.
Semisphere too close to the capsule for my money.

Discontinued? No mics currently listed on the website.

I have installed Basotect foam as an absorber in a similar form. I have the impression that this is good against resonances inside the grill.

Yet another one with 797 Audio capsule :D
Yup, good ol' 797!

The important thing was to balance the various components to come out with a successful sound. We were lucky to have a person in China who kept an eye on QC for us.
Semisphere too close to the capsule for my money.

Discontinued? No mics currently listed on the website.
I did a bit of work with raising the capsule higher above the diffuser, but I couldn't hear a difference. I suppose the wave lengths effected at audio frequencies meant that the change was well above where it would be important.

Yes, it's discontinued. There were over 80 LDCs on the market when the company made the decision to focus attention in areas where the competition was less severe. A thousand of them were sold and favorably reviewed, but it was easier to guarantee market share with other products. There was also the TS-1, which was a SDC, plate-loaded tube circuit. The TS-2 is a plate-loaded tube circuit, too, but quite different in design.

Back