The house is on fire.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[silent:arts] said:
It doesn't matter who is right, or not.
/quote]
Agreed. As Abbey would say what matters is what is right.
Our children have the right to protect their world,
and us older generation should support them.
Children have the right to a childhood unfettered by adult concerns. They have the right not to be used as tools of manipulation by adults.

Cheers

IAn

I agree that children shouldn't worry about the future. But in this case, it's hard to ignore, if you can see it all around you.

I grew up on a farm. That's great, as a kid. Lots of room, animals, always activity to participate in.

I can remember being four years old and being led around the pasture by my grandfather, who died when I was six. Even then, the signs we were ruining this earth were showing. He explained, for instance, that there was far too much concrete in the world. Rainwater doesn't get a chance to go into the earth. In stead, it is tubed directly to the river.

Fast forward half a century. I was working for a water treatment company. One of the biggest in the world. I got to see historical data of the underground water line. At that moment, it was some 3,5 meters below average. That's 15 years ago. Today, the level is at -5,5 meters.

It reminded me of what my grandfather was telling me.

It's not new. Plastic didn't appear in our environment in a few years. It's been going on for decades. That makes it easy for some to ignore.

These kids aren't being led. They can see with their own eyes what the world has become. The saddest thing is that people who have seen the evolution, deny it. And that's why these kids act.

It is obscene that some can deny these kids have eyes and can see what's going on. It's also a sign why we, as the older generation, are unable to solve anything, as we can always ignore it and blame it on the other side, whichever side we're on...

ruffrecords said:
Children have the right to a childhood unfettered by adult concerns. They have the right not to be used as tools of manipulation by adults.
I can assure you my daughter isn't manipulated by any adult, and the whole Fridays for future movement isn't either.

Children have the right to a childhood unfettered by adult concerns. They have the right not to be used as tools of manipulation by adults
Unfortunately, it is not possible to insulate children entirely from the world around them.  As a 12 year old in Oct 1962 I was very scared when they started testing the air raid sirens during the Cuban Missile Crisis, but there was little I could do about it.  This young girl (who has aspergers syndrome) talks like an adult coming from a child, which makes her speech all the more striking "Out of the mouths of babes" so to speak.  Her aspergers has given her a focus on the facts that many politicians lack, she is an exceptional child speaking perfect uncompromising English.

I think she is a gift to the world.

DaveP

Well we have social media , that alone is fanning the flames of the 'anxiety' and subesquent mental illnesses , which in itself becons in the drug companies and medical people ,  as  much toxic crap branded as food products as you can stuff down your pie hole , we will surely see the life expectancy come down again.

The post office is no longer viable in rural towns , what you will find is chemists and pharmacists are doing a roaring trade though .
What I would say is look at how Pharma's  business has sky rocketed in the last 30 years ,plot it , the exponential curve upwards will be off the page , but people simply arent getting better ,and they wont get better ,thats not in the interests of business at all .

DaveP said:
Unfortunately, it is not possible to insulate children entirely from the world around them.
Of course, not, but equally they should not be encouraged to take a day off school to go and protest about climate change, a topic which most of them know even less about  than you or I do.

Cheers

Ian

Of course, not, but equally they should not be encouraged to take a day off school to go and protest about climate change, a topic which most of them know even less about  than you or I do.
I think they may dispute that statement, the reason being that you and I will be in the next world before the worst hits, whereas they will be dealing with our legacy,  this scenario has focused their minds much more than ours.

DaveP

A while ago, my son, who's nine, came with a question: "Dad, what's a pedophile?"

As a parent, you have two choices. Either you "insulate" your child from reality, or you try to explain reality. I chose the second option.

A week or so later, the mother of one of his friends wanted to know where my son got the definition of a pedophile. He had told his friend, of course. She was worried. I explained my reasoning. She was in doubt.

Some weeks later, a pencil flasher appeared in the park where their school is, during sports. My son and his friend chased him off and asked a passer-by to call police. Some of the other pupils were startled. I heard a few of them had nightmares because of it.

What would you do?

ruffrecords said:
Can you point to one that was?

Cheers

Ian

At this point, the burden of proof is on you.  You assert that people are denied grant money because their views don't support the party line, and yet you have nothing to back that up.  Asserting it does not make it true.  Making stuff up & spouting "prove me wrong!" is just a horrible way to go about having a reasonable discussion. 

ruffrecords said:
Can you point to one that was?
Here are some papers I found with contrarian views, funded through NASA grants or grants from educational institutions (like MIT):  all appeared in peer-reviewed climate journals between 2000 and 2011.

http://www-eaps.mit.edu/faculty/lindzen/adinfriris.pdf
http://www-eaps.mit.edu/faculty/lindzen/222_Exchange.pdf
http://www.searchanddiscovery.com/documents/2009/110117spencer/ndx_spencer.pdf
http://www-eaps.mit.edu/faculty/lindzen/236-Lindzen-Choi-2011.pdf
https://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/3/8/1603/pdf

Reading CIA GOV funded peer review papers is like sticking you head in a fire,
Then complaining about the instructor who said," it wont hurt a bit",
All of a sudden but to late,...... you realise you never once questioned you decision with the logical
Critical thinking each and every one of us has empowered in us !
Wake up or you will all end up like this lot, of dumb zombie, politically backed, mindwashed chanting new age hippies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmDgJbVX7xc

The defence of the world  government on this forum  is astounding, do you like being controlled, by rich unelected eletists,
Who are eroding your personal liberties and rights bit by bit ?
And how about stopping the five eyes eastern/asian war industry of  destabilization , feck climate the nonsense.
No one protests about millons of dead in  present day war crimes eg  yemen/ syria etc anymore ?

We try to have intelligent debates here, so we can learn from each other and understand what is going on in the world......................you could join in.

By just rubbishing everything , we never get to  discover these truths that are apparently only obvious to you :(

DaveP

DaveP said:
We try to have intelligent debates here, so we can learn from each other and understand what is going on in the world......................you could join in.

By just rubbishing everything , we never get to  discover these truths that are apparently only obvious to you :(

DaveP
That's exactly what an undercover elite climate agent working for the EU/UN/New World Order Secret Society would say!  8)

Conspiracy theories are fascinating in that they are the societal equivalent of positive feedback in a gain stage:  new evidence that goes against someones Sincerely Held Beliefs (TM) ultimately just proves the conspiracy is that much more certain (otherwise why would the evidence be presented if not for the conspiracy), which then strengthens the belief again.

Obviously some posters are already hard against the power supply rail in this regard.

Say every GW denier was right all along. I'd be fine with paying more in taxes twenty years from now to pay back businesses who were unfairly penalized if it buys me insurance against a global catastrophe predicted by scientific consensus.

Conspiracy or not, can't we all agree saddling corporations with an unfair carbon tax would be a much better outcome for everyone involved than letting the predictions of AGW come to pass?  Why can't we reduce it to a simple risk assessment / cost-benefit analysis?

but what was the big deal with the riots in France?
The Paris Agreement puts pressure on France to lead the way on  climate change.  Part of the strategy was to increase duty on diesel to phase it out, unfortunately most french citizens are not in a position to switch to electric (I doubt you are either), so the duty just had the effect of making the poor poorer with no environmental benefit.  That was what started the yellow vest movement, it later morphed into more general protest and also got hijacked by anarchists too at some point.

DaveP

Latest posts

Back