The modern recording engineer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IT is moving at a pace as well. I suspect by the time everyone fully grasps/utilizes IPv6, QUIC will have become the new standard.

Thankfully I haven't had to deal with that stuff in my hobby efforts. But while working on a complex multi-camera computer vision system design about 10 years ago I did.

We were using GigeVision protocol cameras and each one was pushing nearly a full Gb/sec and we needed all cameras to be on one network so that they could sync captures. That entailed using a managed switch with a 16Gb connection to our computer. What a nightmare. One tool that really helped us to solve a lot of problems was WireShark. If you're troubleshooting at the packet level I'd recommend it. There are other free network analyzers out there that have other strengths and capability.

I feel your pain. TCP/IP is a whole universe of crazy jargon, acronyms, and technology. Good luck!

Thankfully I haven't had to deal with that stuff in my hobby efforts. But while working on a complex multi-camera computer vision system design about 10 years ago I did.

We were using GigeVision protocol cameras and each one was pushing nearly a full Gb/sec and we needed all cameras to be on one network so that they could sync captures. That entailed using a managed switch with a 16Gb connection to our computer. What a nightmare. One tool that really helped us to solve a lot of problems was WireShark. If you're troubleshooting at the packet level I'd recommend it. There are other free network analyzers out there that have other strengths and capability.

I feel your pain. TCP/IP is a whole universe of crazy jargon, acronyms, and technology. Good luck!
Wow that’s nuts. I know wire shark.
Dante is supposed to make it easy 😂😂😂😂 but still any rate. Holding our own here.

Good Luck. I’m retired from full time audio and missed this next phase. Still setting up a proper network is important know how to have. It is a good knowledge for toolkit now and in the future.

Networks are potential vulnerabilities. How long before someone hacks a recording session and pirates original stems?

Cheers

Ian
That’s the other caveat, pure security often conflicts with a working audio setup. While from a purely I.t. Security perspective you want latest os, latest everything to prevent such cyber attack issues, it does not always work with audio operations.

Last edited:
Has anyone on here ever had a cyber attack?

I've seen plenty servers under attack, but never end-user machines. Phishing, yes, pranks from colleagues, malware yes. But never a direct attack.

The only malicious attack on a personal machine I've ever seen, was a Joe-job. Some spammer set a friend's mail address as return address for a spam run in the millions. Possibly even billions. It disrupted not only her PC, but also her provider's mail servers. Took days to get back to normal.

I don't think anyone is interested in original stems. They'll prefer to steal the end result.

I can see it happen in the sector I'm currently involved in: recordings from board meetings. But VOIP is encrypted, so It's not as simple as stealing the transcript or the exec summary. And these are usually not encrypted. Well, not really, as the text processor is usually word and breaking that password is trivially simple.

The most insecure factor still is the human one.

I delete multiple new member submissions daily because they are already known spammers or brute force attackers. I don't think that there are a lot of them, but like career criminals they are repeat offenders. I see a few with 100+ aliases just on this one web forum and I doubt we are their only target.

Back when I was managing my own website store it was a constant battle with hackers altering my website code trying to steal CC information. Every morning I could see a report of what was changed. That went away after I changed to a more robust method of linking customers to a CC servicer's secure website to make payments.

I am reminded daily of how many hackers are out there, and lurking here. :cool:

JR

To further complicate this issue, say your at a large post facility and different people handle different aspects of the network. You may have to hand off an issue many times over just to resolve it🙈

Last edited:
A non-audio related company I've subcontracted for experienced some ransomware attacks at the workstation level. The solution was to take the data loss hit instead of pay, and 2-factor everything afterwards (which, of course, should have been implemented prior to attack). Fortunately the data wasn't worth the asking price, and those involved didn't want to deal with the hassle of crypto and wallet x'fers. :sneaky:

A few years ago .pdf's were a cheeky point of ingress. Recall one that was fairly sophisticated, as local scans didn't find anything malicious as it dumped a small, obfuscated payload while opening a semi-legit .pdf. It required a secondary attack to descramble and stitch fragments into something malicious.

:unsure:
What kind of thief would steal something they have to spend millions of dollars in advertising to make money off of?
Ransom, as Boji pointed out. Or hacker fame for leaking something big before it's released. There used to be a bootleg market back in the day. Maybe not so much now that streaming has taken over.

Amazing how much the modern engineer has to be able to run an it network as well as handle the audio portion of things.
While I do like how much dante and aes67 allow for flexibility, network switch configurations and other network related items are a pain
All eras have their load of crap.
Remember synchronizers? 1630-based CD authoring?
For current generation, razor-blade editing seems like hell...

Latest posts

Back