The poor man’s quadrant fader

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Not sure where to post this so if this in the wrong area admins please move.
I Was hunting for parts at the local electronics junkyard when I stumbled upon a board that had quadrant looking faders on it, I suspect it to be a hodgepodge of stuff used by their props rental. It did give me an idea though
The board itself had a quadrant style mechanical throw mounted to the face plate. It was wider then the usual fader so it make have come from a lighting board of some kind. Underneath it was attached to a half circle with gear teeth and they were mating with a gear that was attached to a pot shaft.
I am thinking this might be adaptable and used for audio 🤔

I suppose post a picture of the guts of this thing so we get a better idea what your on about ,

😎 photos. It’s in the prop rental area so I suspect some kind of lighting control. Point being that we could adopt a similar construction for audio use. Could add a stepped attenuator for stepped controls and even have a motorized pot for automation.

Attachments

• IMG_5282.jpeg
    IMG_5282.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5281.jpeg
    IMG_5281.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5285.jpeg
    IMG_5285.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5282.jpeg
    IMG_5282.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5281.jpeg
    IMG_5281.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5280.jpeg
    IMG_5280.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5285.jpeg
    IMG_5285.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes but the bigger picture is adapting similar mechanical design for a poor man’s quadrant fader
Indeed, your point is on the money.....I merely was recognizing where the gizmo in the pix came from. In my distant past, I did a lot of work with stage lighting and dimmer systems.

There have been a variety of mechanical solutions for audio "slidewires". Tascam Model 10 and the Yamaha PM-1000 desks used pulleys and strings to move the shaft on a rotary pot. ADM had a clever (patented) design they called Slidex (pix attached).

3D printing of the gear design from that lighting controller seems quite possible to me. Alas, I have never messed with 3D printing.

Bri

PS, I have a video demo of the Slidex, but this forum doesn't support AVI files.

Attachments

• slidex.jpg
    slidex.jpg
    968.7 KB · Views: 2
very nice Brian. I worked on a desk that had Gotham faders which had a belt drive assembly similar to that of a motorcycle.
But back to on point. The quadrant fader, the curve, if one could duplicate that in a manor as above, would be ideal

Well being how they were in the elements of the junk yard area, exposed to all nature had to offer, not too bad over all.
Interesting.....the Tascam and Yamaha faders (with the strings and pulleys) always felt crappy compared to a P&G. It's been toooooo long for me to recall how the "quadrant style" dimmer controls felt. One brand I recall were the EDI Scrimmer units. Wish I could find a pic of those control panels. They were kinda cool. The "arc" on the top panel was translucent, and they had a back light behind the panel.

Bri

EDIT: found pix of the Scrimmer units:

https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/edi-scrimmer-2-scene-board.49677/

Last edited:
I am sure I have seen this idea used in audio somewhere many years ago. I will check out some old files and see if I can find it.

Cheers

Ian

Indeed, your point is on the money.....I merely was recognizing where the gizmo in the pix came from. In my distant past, I did a lot of work with stage lighting and dimmer systems.

There have been a variety of mechanical solutions for audio "slidewires". Tascam Model 10 and the Yamaha PM-1000 desks used pulleys and strings to move the shaft on a rotary pot. ADM had a clever (patented) design they called Slidex (pix attached).

3D printing of the gear design from that lighting controller seems quite possible to me. Alas, I have never messed with 3D printing.

Bri

PS, I have a video demo of the Slidex, but this forum doesn't support AVI files.

Wow, that Slidex thing is really clever !

I love good mechanical engineering, I don't really see the advantage of having a big sluggish contraption turning a pot instead of just having a pot, but that Slidex thing yeah, I would love to have a couple of those.

Interesting.....the Tascam and Yamaha faders (with the strings and pulleys) always felt crappy compared to a P&G. It's been toooooo long for me to recall how the "quadrant style" dimmer controls felt. One brand I recall were the EDI Scrimmer units. Wish I could find a pic of those control panels. They were kinda cool. The "arc" on the top panel was translucent, and they had a back light behind the panel.

Bri

EDIT: found pix of the Scrimmer units:

https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/edi-scrimmer-2-scene-board.49677/
Woa those EDI scrimmer units. That’s even less complicated. Wonder if it gives full throw to the pot🤔

Woa those EDI scrimmer units. That’s even less complicated. Wonder if it gives full throw to the pot🤔
The early SCRimmer controls used a standard pot and made up for the approximately 90 degree rotation with a gain stage.
Later models had custom pots to give full resistance change in an approximately 60 degree rotation.
All a nightmare to mechanically align pot position and lever travel.
DC Control voltage to the dimmer packs was 2 (off) to 7.6 (full on).
Several manufacturers used the sector and gear drive on a standard pot, especially on heavy use controls like crossfaders. The best of those feel as good as a P&G and more importantly stand up to continuous use and contamination better.
-Mac (serviced lighting control systems from resistance plates to microprocessor controls)

Latest posts

Back