the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
Would it be possible to mount all the controls and the meters in a remote panel separate from the main box with the PCB's and psu etc. If yes what sort of distance from the guts to the control panel could I use ?

Thks

[quote author="dolo72"]Would it be possible to mount all the controls and the meters in a remote panel separate from the main box with the PCB's and psu etc[/quote]
no

[quote author="skal1"]Is this 5687wb/Phillips good for poorman?[/quote]

Should be...

analag

Found some more part numbers that I wanted to pass on as possibilities.

12 pos switch for Attack

www.alliedelec.com
Mfr Part#: 71BD30-01-1-AJN
Allied Stock#: 948-7247
$13.65

Inexpensive 12 pos 2 deck for Gain and Threshold for those trying to save a few$

Mfr Part#: 71BD30-02-1-AJN
Allied Stock#: 948-7249
$17.52

NON Shorting 2 Pole x12 pos Allied # 747-6700 MFG #C4D0212N-A $15.53EA Can be used on all switches

Re: Valves in the UK, watfordvalves.com has the 5687's @ £7 a piece and
I found some 6BC8's on ebay for around £8 each.
2N6107's are also on Ebay @ around 87 pence a shot.
A bit of searching will bring them all up.
Cheers,

Marty.

[quote author="Tillmann"]links for silentarts.com don't seem to be working at the moment. Did they move somehow?[/quote]
no, nothing moved.
ping, ftp and email works, but not the homepage itself.
however, must be a problem at 1und1 (the provider) :?
hope they solve it soon

[edit: just as I wrote this all is fine again] :thumb:

hi there!
i was wondering if i can use sowter 4383 and 8940 on the poor man?i know it will go expensive but i have some left overs and i'm thinking building one mono poorman(660)with those,i have read that various transformers could be used and i thought that because some used in volkers dla2a XSM's i could use sowters instead of them(i will built an another mono and one stereo unit with edcors)
also does anybody compared sowters to edcors in the same sircuit?(dla2a?)any opinions?
volker,i was wondering if this pcb fits 1/2w carbon composition resistors?

thanks analag and volker for this project!!

best regards
bill

[quote author="Vas"]volker,i was wondering if this pcb fits 1/2w carbon composition resistors?[/quote]
Hi Bill,
the design is for resistors with a 0207 package, lead spacing is 10.16mm

[quote author="[silent:arts]"][quote author="Vas"]volker,i was wondering if this pcb fits 1/2w carbon composition resistors?[/quote]
Hi Bill,
the design is for resistors with a 0207 package, lead spacing is 10.16mm[/quote]

i see.....thanks for the reply and this project :thumb:
best regards
bill

I dont have the green to go for 4x Elmas and this is what I'm planning to do:

http://www.electronicsurplus.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=74532&czuid=1214944002403

It is a 18 pos concentric switch.first align the wipers and drill a small hole across.Then put a pin to lock the 2 shaft

OR another idea maybe to pour some instant glue between the 2 concentric shafts.Whatdaya think??

[quote author="kazper"]Found some more part numbers that I wanted to pass on as possibilities.

Mfr Part#: 71BD30-01-1-AJN

Mfr Part#: 71BD30-02-1-AJN
[/quote]

Appreciate the potential savings, but does the circuit require shorting rather than non-shorting switches? Or is it just a matter of living with the clicks and pops when moving through the positions?

shorting = no clicks, non shorting = may be clicks
at least there will be MUTES with non shorting switches if you turn them slow enough.
the gain and threshold controls are fed with the audio signal :green:

if you all really are curios how this PoorMan works, you can still study the original fairchild schematic.
if I would have to draw a signal flow chart for both, they would be the same :thumb:
it is just another version ...
easier to build
available parts

I would call it "adapted" to today
and yes, I have had originals in my hands :green:

OK, sounds good.

BTW, hope this isn't a stupid question but I was thinking about the Lorlin rotaries for use in the PM670. I know that they only have 6 positions, would this mean too broad/big a jump between positions?

Back