The Second Amendment

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveP said:
Serious suggestion:
Get NRA members to take shifts guarding schools, their rights come with responsibilities.

Its one a week now?  They have work to do.

DaveP
Old discussion

Actually NC legislature is talking about arming teachers right now, and I think TX already did. The best way to discourage a chicken-sh__  with a gun, is with the threat of return fire.

They put armed marshals on airplanes. Celebrities and even legislators have armed security.  Why do we declare schools gun-free zones, in classic wishful thinking (bad people do not obey the rules). These shooters will always seek out soft targets, we need to make them less soft. Children are a precious resource why don't we protect them better?

Stop the nonsense about NRA, we have a lot of unemployed ex-military with training and capabilities that would fit the task well. I would be willing to guard a local school if there was an immediate threat and no one else to do it (but I would more than likely be at the back of the line and unwelcome).

Perhaps put armed marshalls in schools? Or teachers could do this as a second job if they had the right skill set and training. Just the threat of an armed response would deter some (many?). If not they could reduce the body count.

JR

Arm teachers appears to be an oxymoron.

All we had back in the day was the strap...or the ruler.

Would anyone have a such cool objective head, if it was their child in a box?

If anything, there should be security on staff where it's needed. People that are trained. If you can't afford it, then I guess you need re-prioritize what's important and what isn't?

The 'Lanza's' were die-hard NRA members.

Dave's suggestion is reasonable, and even more so...obligatory at this point.

desol said:
Arm teachers appears to be an oxymoron.
Not sure what you find contradictory about that,,, not even sure i want to know. Surely some teachers are already gun owners.
All we had back in the day was the strap...or the ruler.
My mother had a leather strap, cut into strips with knots tied into the strips. It was very effective at keeping little johnny in line.  :eek:
Would anyone have a such cool objective head, if it was their child in a box?
Hopefully cool, objective, and rational. Not emotional like right now.
If anything, there should be security on staff where it's needed. People that are trained. If you can't afford it, then I guess you need re-prioritize what's important and what isn't?
That describes modern life.  In recent decades more and more soft targets are getting hardened. Protecting a school from a mentally unstable shooter(s), is not unlike protecting against a terrorist attack.
The 'Lanza's' were die-hard NRA members.
I had to google that because I am not up on your side's talking points. The NRA denies that he and his mother were even members of the NRA... Finding NRA certificates among their gun paraphernalia does not make them (die-hard?) members.  But so what if he or she were members?  There are some 5 million NRA members among the 70-80 million adult gun owners, and they are probably less likely to misuse weapons than untrained gun owners. 9 US presidents were NRA members.

I received my gun training the old fashioned way, first from my parents firing our 22 cal rifle in the backyard, then in army basic training with a more powerful 22 (.223).

IIRC his mother reached out for help from the mental health community and didn't get enough apparently. He was identified as a troubled kid and our mental health system let us all down.

After tragedies like this we hear about warnings that were not acted upon, but who knows how many warnings they get, with the vast majority being noise, until it isn't.
Dave's suggestion is reasonable, and even more so...obligatory at this point.
That NRA members guard schools?

I am not a NRA member so that leaves me out.  ::)

JR

kambo said:
thank God for that  ;D
See I'm promoting religion too...  8)

JR

PS: I turned the paper squirrel target I tacked to a tree into confetti... no perfect bullseye, but one BB in the first ring so I'll take that.  Funny I didn't see any squirrels in my yard today. That works for me too....

Latest posts

Back