the ultimate lp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut a nested groove 12" of the Notwist for Record Store Day. An inside out cut has to be done on an older Scully lathe with the reverse lead screw.

The inside out record was for when film soundtracks were distributed on disk. The sound quality changes from the outside diameter to the inside diameter of a record. The soundtracks were cut outside in, then inside out, then outside in, ect. to minimize the sound quality difference when switching records.

Gold said:
The inside out record was for when film soundtracks were distributed on disk. The sound quality changes from the outside diameter to the inside diameter of a record. The soundtracks were cut outside in, then inside out, then outside in, ect. to minimize the sound quality difference when switching records.

I didn't know that and my dad worked for Vitaphone.

JR

Gold said:
I cut a nested groove 12" of the Notwist for Record Store Day. An inside out cut has to be done on an older Scully lathe with the reverse lead screw.

Wow thanks for the information..

So on the inside out cutting it has to be a specific machine like the scully you mentioned or can any machine do it?

Early Scully's below a certain serial number have the reverse lead screw. I'm not aware of any other lathes that could do this.

I remember Monty Python's "Matching Tie and Handkerchief" LP had two grooves cut on one side, but each played through to center.
All the gimmicks are interesting, but how are the actual tracks?  Do I want to degrade a stylus playing a label groove cut of a crappy song?  Not really.

sodderboy said:
I remember Monty Python's "Matching Tie and Handkerchief" LP had two grooves cut on one side, but each played through to center.
All the gimmicks are interesting, but how are the actual tracks?  Do I want to degrade a stylus playing a label groove cut of a crappy song?  Not really.

According to a reliable source Brad Johnson(ex Sterling tech who works for Lavry now) cut that

Neither an outside in or a nested groove should wear a stylus any differently than a normal record. On an outside in record there should be a catch groove at the inner diameter to keep the stylus from moving to the center and a locked groove at the outer diameter.

Speaking of groove-locks, one that sticks in my mind is Jeff Mills's LP, where they (Ron Murphy (RIP)  mastered it I'm sure) put 9 locked grooves on one side. The thing that strikes me as tricky is that the grooves all loop seamlessly - so you don't spot the join: http://www.discogs.com/Jeff-Mills-Cycle-30/release/3368

Is it tricky, Paul? I think I asked you before about this...

thermionic said:
Is it tricky, Paul? I think I asked you before about this...

Yes, very tricky. You basically have to press the button and hope for the best. I think you could automate it with a MIDI to CV converter to control the automatic cutter head drop and lift.

It has a reason to start playing from the out, I don't understand why he changed it, but the best quality is at the outside and is when the listener has more attention (when he starts to listen) and worse quality at the end when the listener is probably at the kitchen getting coffee! Plus the standard is already set and the automatics desk and the ones that have anti backlash or whatever is called won't work (or this feature at least)

Other observation but that was the technical one I would watch first.

JS

Latest posts

Back